Starting up?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tehpr3chr, May 10, 2006.

1. tehpr3chr

tehpr3chr LawnSite Member
    from NE GA

I am 22 years old, and live in Northeast Georgia. I have been seriously considering starting a landscaping business in the next year, and wanted some input. Here goes the questions:

1)Other than business license, is there any other type of certification I need?
    2)I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. That should serve me well correct?
    3)Other than a trailer, what all should I buy? I'm thinking a large WB, trimmer, blower, smaller push mower....what else?
    4)how much am I gonna spend?
    5)how the heck do I get the money?
    6)How do I take care of my finances? Do you guys use quickbooks, or an accountant?
    7)My experience is very limited. Should I do something to make me more vested before I venture out and screw someone's lawn up? what can I do?

any and all help is appreciated guys! i guess i'm just one of those people who wants to be outside all the time and wants to work for myself. i also need a job where i can get off early when needing(i race road bicycles a lot and am trying to make an attempt at going pro there..)Thanks!

2. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

go work for a big lawn care company for a year or two to see if you like cutting grass 9-5 five days a week, if you do then you should have enough saved up to buy a walk behind and you will be ready to go out on your own

3. tehpr3chr

from NE GA

how much money can i make doing that though? the sad thing is that i have a college degree and i hate what i got it in (drafting)..i just want to be able to make enough to support the wife and I (she teaches middle school starting in August)...just worried about making a living i guess...

4. jacob land and

jacob land and LawnSite Member

around here $12-15 an hour, bad thing is no health care, insurance, etc. usually

5. tehpr3chr

from NE GA

i make around 14-15 an hour right now, and have no health insurance, lol...the wife will have great state health insurance once she starts teaching, so no worries there...i guess i'll see what i can find...

6. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

I would say just put in at least 5 months at a reputable company. While you are there ask as many questions as possible and try to learn the business end of it. I did this, and my foreman I worked for was bombarded with questions about bidding, scheduling, licenses, etc, he didnt mind and was very helpful. IMO, The easy part of having the business is the actual work. The hardest part for me is all the paperwork, billing, talking to clients, fitting everything in, etc. I bought all my equipment used and paid in cash when I started out. It was relatively cheap. Heres what you could expect to spend if you want a similar setup to start out with.

5x8 trailer-500 (you may want to start with a larger trailer if you can)
    36 belt drive-900
    echo 260 weedeater-75 on ebay
    echo edger-90
    echo handheld blower-100
    hedge trimmer i bought new for about 400

thats really the main things you would need to start out plus straps, gas gans, weedeater line, etc. Good luck with you venture man, I am sure it will work out for you. Just learn as much as you can and read up on lawnsite.

7. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

8. FIVE-0LAWNS

FIVE-0LAWNS LawnSite Member

Get a 6X12 trailer. I was in the same boat you were in about a month ago. EVERYONE said get a 6X12 trailer and I got a 6X10 and regret it every day. You have to spend money to make money. It'll start out slow but if you do a great job and kiss some ass it'll pick up like you've never imagined. I also tow with a Jeep Grand and it is great. Good luck.:drinkup: :drinkup:

9. tehpr3chr

from NE GA

didn't expect such good feedback so fast! i'm sure this website is going to be very valuable to me in the future!

10. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i would go with a 5x10, 6x10, or 6x12 trailer...you could find a used mower cheap, get commercial blower and trimmer run u 350 blower 300 trimer(echo)...and print up flyers on your computer...ull spend 2-4grand on a new walkbehind...i wouldnt get bigger then a 48...always carry a 21'' push on ur trailer...can pick one up at a yard sale 5-20bucks...good luck...you could always work for a lawncare company in ur area and do 5 lawns on sat to get started....good luck