1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

starting up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by boonehockey, Jul 27, 2007.

1. boonehockey

boonehockey LawnSite Member

im 15 and trying to start up a small lawn care business. what are the first steps i should do.
  2. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

save save save money.
    buy used.
    research equipment.
    buy commercial type equip..
    many other things to do. anymore opinions?
  3. boonehockey

i do plan spending much of my time researching equipment so i can get the best deal.
  4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Probably finish high school first and get a job with an LCO during school so when you graduate, you'll know what you're doing.

But if you insist:

Buy equipment
    Procure address lists and start distributing flyers
    Get liability insurance
    Get a license or seller's permit

5. boonehockey

that was another thing i was worried about the legal issues i may come in contact with.
  6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

this is by far the most important thing you need to do. trust me i know you don't want to go work for someone else but you will learn so much more then you could even imagine not to mention make some serious cash for your equipment. when you start mowing with them time how long it takes you to do the lawns, that will help you a ton when your out on your own bidding jobs try not to work for some fly buy night company, work for a reputable company and you will learn the real way to do things. trust me this is the very best thing you can do for your self and your company.
  7. sk_devildog

sk_devildog LawnSite Member

If you have little to no experience then i would get with a LCO, there is alot more to lawn and landscape than just mowing. If you do save up enough to get a used piece of commerc. equipment and it breaks down, there goes the Biz. Get some free education from a true landscaper and learn the business its cheaper than going out on your own and learning the hard way!!!
  8. boonehockey

i can defintley see the advantages to that. i work for a company that mainly does sod work but i have helped mow a few residental yards before.