Starting your second mowing crew ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ColePyck, May 3, 2008.

1. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

At how many accounts did you start your second mowing crew? Lets base it off of mostly residential accounts? Just curious, thinking about starting another crew

2. Blink74

Blink74 LawnSite Member

I schedule mowing Monday thru Thursday. When all lawns couldn't be mowed in that time frame, I added another man to the truck. Then when two guys couldn't get them all done, I added another truck. It's important that before you add the the expense of more equipment and/or labor, that you maximize your time and profit.

Now we have about 50 billable hrs. of mowing per week. I run one truck with two guys 4 days and another truck 1 or 2 days a week. I'm guessing at 40 billable hrs. is when I needed to have a second truck.

3. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

I run my second truck 2 days a week the other days it does all the odd stuff. Never fall behind, it does not look good to customers, be like clockwork.

4. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly ... billable hours.

Not # of accounts ... too many variables their bro....

5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Best advice I've heard here on LS in quite a while !!

6. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

i agree. when i read "# of accounts" i just shook my head. i have one account that takes me 10 minutes, and one that takes 3 of us 6 1/2 to 7 hours. so if i had 50 ten minute jobs, or 50-7 hours jobs, i guess client numbers don't matter..

i am right on the edge of a second truck. when it does happen i ill have 2 guys in the "main" truck, mowing the bigger accounts, all the commercial and larger residential, and the 2nd truck with one guy mowing the smaller accounts, with a smaller mower. and both crews on our biggest account at the same time. i am closing in on 40 hours worth of time involved in mowing alone.

7. Blink74

Blink74 LawnSite Member

Don't overlook my comment about maximizing your time and profits. Perhaps you have an account that is out of the way, doesn't fit your schedule, or you bid too low. Take the time to analyze your current job list and be sure all of them make sense. If some don't, raise the price to make them worth while. You'll either make better money with what you have, or free up time to make better money elsewhere. Only once you've done this should you consider expanding.

8. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

all great advice, thanks very much

9. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

when you can't mow them all in a week with 2 helpers.