Starting

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Kut N Edge, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Kut N Edge

Kut N Edge LawnSite Member

OK just wanted an opinion if i should start with a used commercial mower or a new one? Also what would be best.... commercial WB or a small Z mower?

2. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Unless you have a deep pocket, I'd say used would be the way to go. I have a used walk behind that I bought. But a used Z would be nice. It just depends on what you need and what kind of lawns you have.

3. Kut N Edge

all residential for now and thanks for the input

4. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

Kut N Edge...
    Just wanted to say I like your logo and business name.:drinkup:

5. Kut N Edge

Thanks but i really need help getting this business off the ground but a good name and logo are not gonna help me at all. HELP!!??

6. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i would go with a walk behind over a small z, a 52'' scag hydro 19hp Kawasaki with a sulky will cut alot of grass in a day yet its still small enough to get into some tight spots. get one lighly used about 500hrs for about $3500 then step up and get a rider like a 61'' when you need to. i would get the used walker and then spend some money on a good whip,edger and a good blower (br600) leave the 21''er at home thats what you have a good string trimer for let out 24'' of line and go to town, its faster and cuts fine

7. flying_a

flying_a LawnSite Member

I bought a 50" Z mower and now I wish I would have bought a 36" and a 54" WB instead of the Z. I cant get it into small gates so I get out the old 21" push mower and some of these back yards are big in my neck of the woods. Brownsville is similar to where I am but those are just my two cents.

8. Kut N Edge

Hey cool i finally meet someone from the VALLEY. Yeah i am looking into buying a 7H17 JD 48" WB but i still think thats to big. Its just that i dont want a gear driven WB because ive heard bad things about them. If I am wrong please let me know because then i will get a G15 JD 36" WB. HEY FLYING what is the name of your business in Weslaco?

9. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I think that a 48in walkbehind would be a good size. You'd probably be regretting not purchasing it in the future. However, if you have any gated backyards, or any real small properties, the 36 would be the way to go.

10. Kut N Edge

Is gear driven that bad because i think that will better suit me because of my small properties for now. What are the ups and downs to gear driven and why is hydro alot better?