Starting

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Kut N Edge, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Hydro is a ton better than gear. I have a hydro mower. Gears you can't go in reverse without shifting, and to me that seems like a pain in the but! Gears are definitely cheaper, but Hydro is more expensive and the way to go. Gear drive belts slip in the rain. That's just my advice to you. If you go gear however, I've heard that the Exmark Metro and Scag can be nice. Let me know what you decide!:waving:

2. flying_a

flying_a LawnSite Member

Flying A Lawn Service is the name. Ide go hydro all the way. You will wish you had purchased the 48" once you start getting the bigger accounts. A 36" hydro will work great for the back yards with small gates.

3. Kut N Edge

Kut N Edge LawnSite Member

But they dont make a 36" in hydro in JD. Exmark is too far away of a dealer.

4. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

are you able to get a small walkbehind and a large ztr. like a 36" walkbehind and a 52" or 60" rider? if so, i think that set up would be more effective, efficient, and save you time. get them used if possible.

5. flying_a

flying_a LawnSite Member

Check out the Hustler dealer on 802 there in Brownsville maybe they have something.

6. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I started out with a 52" walk behind and still use it today. I like it even more then my ZTR

7. Cheyney'sChoppers

Cheyney'sChoppers LawnSite Member

I have a 48" 7H17, its great. The hydro and motor move this walkbehind where ever you want to go. It has a 6 gal fuel tank for a good resevior. Hydro is the way to go.