Startup concern

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hopper1124, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Hopper1124

Hopper1124 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I've been out of the industry and recently began to think about coming back but into the Lawn Fertilization. I was in Mowing but there are to many of the beat up pickup trucks to compete with, I figured that Lawn Fertilization you need to be licensed and you can weed out the dead beats. Anyway I am concerned with the Pricing of Fertilization in my area of Ohio. TRUGREEN called to give me an estimate on my lawn he said you would try and beat anyother price. Three other larger companies said the same thing.
    I took a flyer off a mailbox the other day and it was a smaller guy advertising for 5 applications plus grub control $191.50 this was a blanket flyer for the whole subdivison very generic flyer had picture of him and his family stated that they don't have the budget to do TV commericals and glossy print ads etc. The price was for roughly 6500 to 8000 Sq ft or that was the rough lawn sizes. These are my concern how to compete with all this under cutting and still pay for Equiptment, Wages, Insurance etc.

Thanks Hopper
  2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

What area of Ohio are you in? Just wondering.
    That price doesn't seem to far of the mark in my area. I charge a 35 minimum and those 6.5 to 8 - 1000 sq ft lawns would fall in the minimum. With grub control and 5 apps fert w/ weed contol would be 218.75 here. We have a lot of people say we are higher and some lower so I figure I am running with the pack - That is compared to reptuable compannies, no scrubs. That only 27.25 difference per year.
    Hope this helps. You should be able to do 20-25 of those size lawns a day with ease so that is no chicken change.