Startup Question/Opinion:

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dunedinsurf, Sep 4, 2004.

?

What Mower should I start my biz with?

1. 36" Walk-Behind

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  2. 48" Walk-Behind

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. 48" zero-turn riding

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  4. 40" zero-turn riding

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dunedinsurf

dunedinsurf LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I am planning on starting a business soon and I have a pretty good idea of the equipment that I want to start with.

My question is, what type of mower would you suggest for a starter? I have researched this site and have noticed many people say to get a 36" for a starter.

Which would you recommend getting, a new 36" walk-behind or a used riding mower?

Are there any riding mowers that are small enough to get into backyards?

My main goal is to get one great mower now, that I can depend on for atleast a year......what would you recommend...that wouldn't break the bank.....(0-$2000).

Are walk-behinds worth getting? It just seems like if you want a lawn business, it's worth getting one where you can sit down!!!

Hope to hear back from you all soon. Love the website, look forward to answering many more of my questions in the future!

Thanks!

Dan W.

2. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

Hustler makes a great hydro 37" deck walk-behind. It has a floating deck. It also has a T-bar steering control system. Don't bya cheap belt drive ex-crap, I mean exmark. By a hydro! You should be able to get one in the 4,000 to 4,250.00 range.

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

It all depends on how you sit money-wise.......I started with a 36" Toro Belt drive and I still use it 6-7 years later. I used that until I had the money to buy the 61" Stander that is now my primary mower. Set a budget....stick with it and you can upgrade later.......

Derek

4. dunedinsurf

dunedinsurf LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Thanks for the replies. With my $$ situation it looks like a 36" belt drive would be the best for me right now.

If I did buy one used, what should I look/test for in the mower?

5. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

A big mistake I made when I got my first mower was that I didn't really now what mattered most. I bought a JD GS30. The big problem with it - FIXED DECK! Starting out with only one mower I've got no choice but to change the deck height on it, some accounts need it shorter others longer. I can't say I've used others but the JD fixed deck is a real pain in the but to change over an 1". Another thing, to switch from bagging to mulching itn't to quick either. I'd say make sure you get a floating deck, something that can easily switch from bag to mulch, and buy yourself some gator blades they work great.