State Chemist got me

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by a plus bob, Aug 11, 2009.

1. a plus bob

a plus bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Just finished a lawn hung the invoice and was reeling up the hose.Looked up and there is a Purdue University car sitting there Oh crap! I was ok except for short sleeves and forgot my sun glasses today. He liked my set up and looked over my Z-SPRAY took some pics of it and told me to not to forget my P.P.E. 2nd time in 20 + years to be checked in the field.

2. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Did he give you a fine or was you lucky and just get a warning?

3. a plus bob

a plus bob LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I argued my sleaves were long the label doesnt state long to the wrist! He just told me to be safe and left never said any thing about a fine.

4. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

A Plus,
    Good going!!!
    I'll tell you and this panel a little story from a couple of years back. We were working at one of my pet hospitals, and after spraying their rather small front islands with my backpack sprayer, a rather portley fellow came across the parking lot with a clipboard.
    I didn't have to think twice about whom it was, because these guys are sly in hiding their vehicles so not to be noticed. He asked some questions about what I was applying, and asked me to walk with him over to our trailer. He asked to see my license, I agreed to show him after he showed me his identification. He asked so see my landscaper's license------I told him that I am not licensed in landscapes.....I plant annuals and perennials. He told me that our sign says small landscapes???? I told him that we only perform services within the guidelines of the State's Regulations of annuals and perennials. He tried to nail me on me not wearing my long sleeve shirt in the 110 degree weather. I was wearing my hat--eye protection--boots--socks--chaps--nitryl gloves. I told him that I was within the guidelines of the label and what I was wearing is more than the other competition does. I told him if I wasn't breaking any laws, that we needed to move on down the road to the next site. This boy was adimant about my trailer signs that stated landscapes. He became so anal, that I had to get on my cell phone---right then with our State Plant Board Director and explain to these monkeys that I was not in any form performing any type of illegal operation.
    After 15 minutes, on my cell phone, my minutes were ticking away.........this guy takes black duct tape and tapes over the word landscapes on my signs..!! I came unglued on him and called the state back and told the director that if this fellow doesn't leave my trailer and my customers property that I will have him arrested for vandalizing my property. The Director told me to wait until he left and then take the tape off.......
    Needless to say, this guy hasn't been around since................Whatever!!!!!

Hell, I have seen 4 applicator's riding Z sprays in shorts, wife beaters and flip flops. Give me a break!!!!!!!
    Nothing really to do with your thread, and didn't intend to highjack the information, all I wanted to say is, these guys can be harrassing or they can be real good people.

5. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

We had a couple of prize winning anal types working at MDA, here, in the past, one sees me spraying roundup under a guardrail, does a Rockford uturn at the next street, comes back, starts to think he's hit the jackpot, till I showed him my ID card. I think he later had a heart attack, and died young. Another one, I went through the U of MD with, was a manic depressive type, I hung a nickname on him that, I'm pretty sure he still hears, CHUCKLES! He later transferred out of MDA to the state prison system, as a guard. Now there's a job more suited to his personality!:laugh::laugh:

6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

So Purdue is the fert cop? They have the power to fine you? I thought only the govt agency could fine you?

7. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

The Indiana State Chemist is Indiana's version of most states Dept Agriculture. They are the administrative agency of the state in pesticide & seed matters. They share resources with Purdue.

8. chrisby316

chrisby316 LawnSite Member

our landscape crew got stopped earlier this year spraying atrimec growth inhibitor at a shopping center. luckily the only thing he had to say was about the lack of long sleeves. could have been much worse> congrats on escaping unscathed

9. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

In our state the PPE only has to be onsite. It has to be available for workers to wear, and if they don't, its their choice. I apply with short sleeves, but have a long sleeve shirt hanging in the trailer.

10. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I have been spraying lawns since 1990, and have never been approached by an inspector. Most of the fert/spray guys I know have, but not me. I had one approach my mowing truck, (I wasn't there, I was out spraying in my truck) anyway, he asked my guy if we sprayed weeds and such, he replied that we did, and the inspector went into Hitler mode. He demanded to see his license, spent 20 minutes going through the mowing truck and trailer looking for any pesticides. My guy tried to explain that he didn't actually spray, but his boss did, and how our company had 2 trucks, a spray truck and a mowing truck. The guy got all snooty with him, asked him why he had said that we sprayed weeds etc, but he didn't find anything. My employee was all shaken up and scared. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The inspector called my wife, then later me, trying to trick us into admitting that our mowing guy sprayed weeds, we both told him that all he does is mow, and sometimes aerate. Very unpleasant to deal with.