1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

state contract

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tedk, Mar 18, 2004.

1. tedk

tedk LawnSite Member

i might want to bid on a contract with the state or local government some time.

i think i heard something about the freedom of information act. are there public records of the winning contract from previous years? how about of the losing bids from previous years?

2. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

I have never hear of that. I wish i could get access to something like that
  3. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from PA/ SW

I bid on a federal contract last fall for airport snow removal at a military DOD installation and asked if the previous years winning bid was public knowledge and they told me yes and faxed it to me the same day. I ran into a problem that the FAA changed alot of de-icing specs which dramatically changed the bid from one year to the next. However, with lawn care or landscaping I imagine it should be very cut and dry from one year to the next. It cannot hurt you to ask.
  4. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

Where do you find out about bidding on jobs like these??
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

FOIA or Freedom of information act Allows the general public the ability to check up on what the government is doing in particular areas. It is publicly availible every bid that was won on any particular item, service or thing. The tricky part is trying to find who has the information. I know that if you have a contact for a particular bid you can ask them for the previous years bids.
    However there are some minor costs that may be involved. The government regulates these also. Something like 15 cents per page up to a certain amount then 5 cents there after.
    All I can say is ask the least they can say is it is classified information that we can not hand out.
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I did a minor search on google today about this. FOIA is for federal but, states have their own FOIA also.