state contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AlleganyLawnCare, Oct 22, 2008.

1. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

I was invited to bid on several state contracts for next year. I was wondering if there is a way to legally find out what the previous years were bidded out for. This way it will help give me a ballpark idea of what to bid. I want to do it legally, for I do not wish to get myself or anyone else ihnto trouble. Does anyone know if previous successful bids are published for public viewing?

2. Yerkz

Yerkz LawnSite Member

All state awarded contracts are open for public viewing. You should be able to find it on the State of Maryland website with a liitle bit of searching.

3. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Just don't bid it based on the last winning bid. That's a good way to loose money. The best way to go about it is to figure it on your own. Then compare it to the winning bid. Usually when you go through the process that way, you'll learn that it's not worth getting because there is very little profit.

If you get the numbers first you'll trick yourself into thinking you can do things faster then what you really can.

4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

State bid is usually low bid. So don't base your numbers off of someone else's mistake! Figure it out yourself, submit your bid and be happy with the bid and be happy if you win the bid and go out for a steak dinner with wife if you lose the bid!!

5. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lowest bid gets it, here in Texas one LCO bid $12.00 an acre to mow ROW....he got it, now the guy is loaded.....he almost gets every bid, and he does suck at it....so lowest it is!!!

6. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont care to see anyones bid because you and i both know no matter what you will base your price off that bid instead of actually bidding what you really wanted to.

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Lowest doesn't always get it. I do a ton of state bids.

here in Texas it cost 70.00 to register to become a vendor. they post what was paid last year. and they have an est. cost. I useually bid at or slightly above the est. cost.

However. Before you do business with the state. Be DAMNED sure you know what your doing. as you can see from other post. a lot of people simply have an ideal of how it works.... Well MY friend, Gusee what? there wrong....

download the packett and it should take you about a week or two to read AND UNDERSTAND it....

there's a ton of money out there to make from the state, But dont break the rules or you can and will BE baned from EVER working for them again...

I just cashed a 167,000.00 check last week....

Best of luck to you

8. AlleganyLawnCare

AlleganyLawnCare LawnSite Member

Thanks everybody for the help. I have a father-in-law that works for the state highway. That is why I want to make sure I do everything legal. He has told me about the amount of money that you can make. It is quite a bit. I have to pay $15 for the packet. I should get it by this weekend.

I plan on doing the research and numbers myself, but I did want a ballpark idea of what I am looking at. More for a basis, than an actual number. I will let everyone know how it goes. I have a pre-bid meeting on the 3rd.

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I've had NC state contracts. You should be able to find out the current price.
    If you hope to ever win one, you'll need it. Sometimes work is just work, enough to pay the help. If you get into the system, you'll figure out what's profitable and what pays the help. What I mean is, you could be underbid by a dollar, how would that make you feel?
    I've seen bids that close.
    Don't think you'll upsell! It's pretty black and white. Do follow the rules spelled out in the contracts as said before.
    Also, consider municipal work (cities). There's a ton of work out there. Tony

10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

bohiaa:

what work you doing for the state? Road work or what?

There is another crew in my area that does mostly state work as well but he is always low bid. Travels the entire state of IOWA and his guys are hardly ever home but for weekends. They do alot of road way mowing. They seed road ways and new construction, sometimes they even use the plan to see the mediums. Now and then we see them around here with 20 brush cutters and there chopping through drainage areas for days on end.