1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

State of the Industry

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by TURFLORD, Feb 24, 2007.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I know I'll be flamed for this, but I can't read anymore of the threads in the "Starter" forum. My God.... What's scalping?....How do I turn my mower?.....Who needs a grass cutting school? Is this the best the industry can draw!!! I don't want to discourage the newbies, but I don't think some of them are going to make it as contractors. Maybe some should just go to college and get a BA in something. No wonder our industry is looked upon with a certain amount of general contempt.
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

You never had an obvious question 24 YEARS AGO!!!
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I agree to a point. Some of the questions are pretty good. You can usually tell who has done little research or thought out the question a little bit.

But I do agree with some of them getting a little ridiculous. But I just skip over them...nothing says your required to read and/or respond.

Still, my favorite are those asking...could you post your sample contract or does anyone have a sample flyer for me...blah blah blah.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have a few favorites, too...

But it's fast getting to the point, after answering the same questions over and over for the past 2-3 years, I ignore most of it anymore.
    When every question's been answered countless times over and I've answered the same thing at least a dozen times on top of that...

It's just natural selection at work.
    Way I see things, 90% of potential customers want a LOT for nothing.
    And, 90% of these businesses won't be around for much more than a year or 2.
    So, the market's peculiarities satisfy each other.
    I still get a good chuckle out of it, especially when I think back, it's better than getting all aggravated over that again.

It frustrates me when a customer treats me with disrespect as well, but at the same rate it has to be like that...
    That's my red flag, my warning sign, and I need that, frustrating as it is to have gone out there for nothing, at least I can get out of there before I start doing any work and really get took for a ride.
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

new crop of lawn care professionals....:)

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Not that obvious.
  7. Cracker Station

Cracker Station LawnSite Member

Just read a post, was probably 10-12 typed lines. It was a run-on sentence and absolutly no punctuation. No telling how old the person was but by his grammer, had no more than a sixth grade education. You think he has anything to say I am interested in? Later. Cracker
  8. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

Geez, with names like turflord and crackerstation, I thought I was at the cartoon website. Chill out, BOYS, spring is almost here,
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is, by far, no doubt that the search option SHOULD be used more that what it is. Thre are many of us proponents of this idea on here, and of course, there are always a few who are opposed to the suggestion. you always have a few rebels that say. "Well, what's the matter with asking?" or "It's not the same....I thought that's what this forum was for - was to help people."
    well, truth be known, yes, it IS to help people, but it should be used as an archive or a REFERENCE first,....and a question asking frenzy second. I believe the moderators SHOULD put more emphasis on the search feature use and post a sticky regarding this. Then, us members need to all chip in and encourage this, as well. Instead of answering a thread entitled "How do I sharpen my blades?" Next time, we wshould reply with the answer "Please use the search feature using the words SHARPEN AND BLADES."
  10. mwaller98

mwaller98 LawnSite Member

we lose business to yahoos with no knowledge posting the ridiculous questions undercutting our prices every day. I for one welcome the yahoos, because, once the customers i lost to them come back, they are a customer for life once they see what they are missing.