1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Nov 2, 2000.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Well I got the word today that I was awarded a State contract for mowing/maintaining a DHR building in my town. I put the per cut price on up there figuring I wouldn't get it but wound up with it anyway. This will be my first attmpet at dealing with any State contracts but at least I'll be in the "loop" now. Hopefully it will turn out good and I can get a few more contracts out of them. If anybody has any contracts with their State let me know how it's going, good or bad. What should I look out for?

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Congrats man! How's it been? Drop me a line sometime!

3. grasskutter

grasskutter LawnSite Member
    from mass.

Congrats Homer, Something you might want to look into that they check around here is the labor rate.I dont know if they had that on your contract that you have to pay a certain amount to your employees,but most contracts, State and Federal around here have that, and believe me they check on you. The mowing operator rate was somewhers around 17.50 per hour when I had my last contracts, and I was checked twice yearly on that. Congrats again and good luck. P.S. they also give checks in advance if you give small discounts!!!
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Homer, I bid on some state work a few years ago. I didn't get it, but it was a learning experience. How long is the contract for? I know that in some cases they will add work to your contract. Where I live the contract is awarded to the lowest bidder. Doesn't matter who you are or who you know. Overall I would say it was a good move on your part.
  5. HOMER

The contract is for 12 months, app. 35 cuttings. I do have one question though, it states that the invoice is to be billed in arrears. It also says funds available, what I don't know is if they intend to pay the total contract at one time or if I bill as I cut?????????????? Sounds like I'm supposed to invoice them for the total amount backed up to Oct. 1. I guess I'll call tomorrow. That'd be a good Christmas bonus though!!!!!!!!!!

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

homer--good luck to you man! keep us all informed. we may all learn from this.

7. Grasscape Inc

Grasscape Inc LawnSite Member

Yes, most State contracts go to the lowest bidder, and often they re-do each year so you are not exactly "in" just yet. Also they usually have requirements on liability insurance. Some require 1,000,000. Check on those things.
    Congrats. The State is usually not picky , and doesn't require it be mowed on "certain" days, and often they will have the mowing company also bid for fertilizer, etc.
    Try to find out who is in charge of the decisions, and say hi or have a chat with them. It helps believe it or not.
  8. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

I regestered with our state (South Dakota) this summer. checked out their web site, and found the vendor page. Sent in the info and the $50.00. I'm classified in the Parks and Rec. area of their listings. I've received a few bid requestes, but nothing I am able to do. I hear all the mowing bids are let late winter/early spring. We'll see what comes of this.

9. HOMER

Funny thing about this job is that the woman running the Dept. called me and asked if I would give her a bid. I talked with her face to face. I too have received bid packages from the State and they were all in the Northern part or rest areas that had to be done weekly and spanned 200 miles up the interstate! This just happened to be local, works for me. As for low bidders, I probably was but didn't intend to be. It will pay me better than most of my commercial accounts do and had I known what the last bid was I could have gotten more. I think once you bid you can ask what last years bid was.

Good Luck,

10. Guest

About 80% of our work is State or Municipal, or Federal. I know that they all go for the low bidder, but most of the jobs we bid require insurance requirements that most average contractors do not have and alot of them also have to have bonds put up against the job. So we have found a niche market that tends to scare alot of other contractors away. We are fully bonded and have insurance limits up to 10 Million in liability, all of our workers have to be bonded. As from the work stand point they are no more difficult to deal with than the ordinary property manager and most are not all that demanding, the only bad thing and it is not all state agencies, is that you have to wait quite a long time for your money, sometimes upwards to 3 months, but that is not all of them, some of ours pay with in 25 days. Most of our contracts are multi-year, but it does not matter how good of a job that you have done in those years, they still have to put the job out to bid, and if someone comes in lower than you they will most likely take them, unless they are unable to meet the requirements or something. Like I said once you get into doing the work you will find a lot of other opportunites come along from other state agencies. Just My Two Cents.