Station master pro, pigtail on Imperial, Hayes valve, and Peter Paul solenoid

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Remote Pigtails, May 25, 2007.

1. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Long title huh? Anyway we are having a wet spring decided to start Memorial weekend early. The first pic is hooking to an Imperial. Since there is no constant 24 vac power source a zone has to be used to power the remote. In this case I've hooked to zone six with my blue/white wire and blue to the disconnected zone wire. Turn the wheel to zone six and I'm in business. I usually just do temporary hookups on Imperials.

The next is one reason I try not to put all my electrical troubleshooting faith on the station master. I've hooked a clip to two separate zone wires and the good green light is on. I think it is a great tool for quick checks but I wouldn't completely replace the voltmeter with it.

The last is a Hayes valve with a Peter Paul solenoid. When WM ruled Dallas irrigation if you couldn't or wouldn't become a WM installer, ( They used to have exclusive agreements with installers) one competitive response was to install components that made for a "better than WM system". This system had Imperial timer, Hayes valves, and RB diecast brass hipops.

DSCN0405.jpg

DSCN0406.jpg

DSCN0407.jpg

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

So thats 110v coming in on that pigtail without a ground (The LINE terminals?)?

That strikes me as somewhat dangerous.

3. A quick tip on the station master 24, if your station master always shows open then more than likely one of the wires has broken inside the sheathing. I just repaired one about a month ago and another one this past weekend. Open up the case and de-solder the two wires from the circuit board and then cut about a 1" off both the black and red ends and resolder..

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

No ground on those old controllers, and a good thing, on occasion.

There were a number of electromechanical timers that used a single terminal strip for all incoming and outgoing connections. Nothing out of spec, so far as a terminal strip goes, but not what Underwriters Laboratory would approve of. Since the timer companies were selling to contractors, and not the general public, they didn't change to isolated power connections until there was little choice.

About 'Peter Paul' solenoids, I never noticed any name but Hayes on their solenoids, but I saw them but rarely. ITT was one supplier of solenoid assemblies to the irrigation manufacturers.

5. Remote Pigtails

I'll follow up on the PP solenoids. Let me research that at the supply house i get my old stuff at. I don't want to put inaccurate info out there.

6. Remote Pigtails

It is dangerous. I still get nervous screwing my remote wire into zone 1 terminal. I'm a lefty but my screwdriver goes into my right hand for that first wire. What amazes me is the number of times i come to a house and that bottom plate is missing. I try to carry a plate for that reason but you can only carry so much oddball stuff.

7. Remote Pigtails

We've had that problem as well. My assistant hates the alligator clips that come standard and replaces with normal alligator clips.