Station Wagon instead of Truck?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by khutch, Dec 21, 2003.

1. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

Jus' starting out this New Year - I have a 2002 VW Jetta wagon, but no PU truck. Most likley w/be starting with neighborhood accounts, very little if any highway driving. Heck. it's paid off in 3 months, I don't want to get a truck until I have to.
    Any thoughts on what amounts to a passenger car pulling the trailer in the eyes of clients.
    And if I do replace it, would something like the Honda Element be viewed asv"unprofessional"?

Happy Holidays everyone.............

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Like you said, you can't buy what you can't afford. Focus on your quality rather than your image. Sprite lies.... image isn't everything. Image usually comes after a couple years in the business. :cool:

3. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Image is alot to some. But for me I have a pickup and it's no pretty sight. So I focus my work on quality and and getting clients through referals.
    Good Luck to Ya

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

hey, you have to start somewhere khutch.

By the way, welcome to the site

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Do what you have to do. But upgrade as soon as you can. Once you start pulling farther it will be harder on a car chassis.

6. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

You have to do what you can with what you have.
    I plan on getting by next year doing the same thing. With last year's accident (other post) and the partner calling it quits (yet another post) I am going to use my car and get a trailer for the time being. I do not think it will look bad so long as the quality is still there, which is what the customers want.
    Customers don't brag about the car/truck their LCO drives, rather they brag about their lawns!
    I see no reason (speaking of image here) to not use your VW so long as it can handle the load of the trailer. Get the truck when you can afford it, or it is required by the workload.

Until then, good luck, and post a pic when you get your set-up done! I'll do the same.
    Rob