Stationary Edger Guard!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Feb 10, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm having a problem with my stationary edger! There's a guard that is bolted to the machine so that it deflects dirt, but I CANT SEE WHERE THE BLADE is cutting..

I have take a peak to my left while pushing the edger so I can see where it's cutting!

I was wondering, is it SAFE TO REMOVE THE GUARD from the edger? I think it'd be easier to see!

What do you guys think?

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

What is a stationary edger? Are you talking bed edger or lawn/sidewalk stick edger.

3. alpine692003

uhm.. its not a stick edger, but it's an EDGER from MCLANE!

I think it's a sidewalk edger with 4 wheels!

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

sometimes there is a sticker on the edger guard with an arrow that points (shows) where the edger blade is.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

or perhaps just put a line on the guard that shows the edge for you

6. alpine692003

Ya, I think thats an okay suggestion..

What do you think about removing the guard? I know you remove the grass trimmer guard but I dont know about the guard on the edger!

7. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Edging is a lot different than trimming. One you are constantly in contact with the ground and sidewalk; and two, you are constantly in contact with the ground and sidewalk with a metal rotating blade. The metal blade does not give as string from a trimmer will, therefore throwing more objects and harder. The guards are completely around edgers for a reason. Taking it off will put not only you, but many other people and property at risk. Have you ever edged wearing shorts and low cut shoes? When I do, my shins and leg get pelted by whatever is in the edge. This includes rocks, dirt, and glass. Keep the guards on and make some other adjustment. If you weld, you may be able to weld a metal guide on it that will not get covered by dirt as a sticker or line will. You might also look at a new one and see if your edger is missing something. Just trying to look out.

8. alpine692003

Ya, I talked to my partner tonight about this ..

I think I'll go wtih tiedman's suggestion of putting some type of marker on the guard..

I dont think I'll want to remove the guard, thanks guys!