1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Stator replacement on Gen 1 Z-Max

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Cadzilla, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

With the Kawasaki FH430V engine.

Anyone ever done it? Tips? Tricks? What to look out for?

We are going to try to do it on the machine without pulling the engine.

Z spray info please chime in too if you see this.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I did it on my Perma Green Ultra with the BS engine.
    Remove recoil starter.
    Remove shroud
    Remove flywheel (using a puller)
    There are 10 to 15 magnets glued to the inside of the flywheel. There are coils and some wires. One to supply the voltage and one to fire the spark plug. Be sure to diagnose it fully with voltmeter to be sure of the problem before tearing into it. I think the stator on mine was supposed to generate about 30 AC volts before going to the voltage regulator.

Hope that helps.
    I glued the loose magnet back on the flywheel with epoxy.

Be sure to get the flywheel key back in place properly. It only took about an hour second time I took it off.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  3. Cadzilla

Yeah both my regulated and unregulated voltage specs are below where they should be and I am showing weird resistance at the stator plug.

I know the stator is bad but also may just replace the flywheel if it's not too expensive while I am in there. I can't definitively determine if the magnets are doing their thing.

I'm just curious if anyone has ever done this on gen 1 zmax without removing the engine.

4. kmiller23

kmiller23 LawnSite Member

I'm in the middle of that project. I took off the flywheel and found one of the magnets gone and parts of the charging coil mangled. It's a 5 yr old z spray. To get the flywheel off I soaked the center with penetrating oil and let it sit for an hour. I put a crow bar under the flywheel from the controller side. With a little prying it came right off. Tomorrow I will be shopping for a new flywheel and charging coil.

5. kmiller23

I'm in the middle of that project. I took off the flywheel and found one of the magnets gone and parts of the charging coil mangled. It's a 5 yr old z spray. To get the flywheel off I soaked the center with penetrating oil and let it sit for an hour. I put a crow bar under the flywheel from the controller side. With a little prying it came right off. Tomorrow I will be shopping for a new flywheel and charging coil.

6. Cadzilla

Are you doing this on the machine? Did you move the hydro lines out of the way for access? Did you have to remove the coils?

7. kmiller23

Yes it's still on the machine. It's an intermediate and had to remove the spray tank to gain access.

8. Cadzilla

Yeah I know someone else who did it on an Int. It's a different setup on the Max.

Keep me posted on your results. I'm going to wait a few weeks and get by swapping batteries until I want to take the machine offline.

9. Zspray

Zspray Sponsor
    from indiana

You don't need to remove the engine. Just give us a call and we will walk you through it. Ask for Brent.
    877-482-2040

10. Cadzilla

Thank you.