StAugustine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FLMOWER, Jan 3, 2003.

1. FLMOWER

FLMOWER LawnSite Member

Ok guys, Im trying to figure out whether or not I need to till before I resod. The soil is mostly sand and compacted. I am putting down new ST. Augustinei n a couple of months and am redoing the irrigation system as well. The property is ratther large. Around 1/4 acre of turf area. I am in E Central FL.

2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Well its gonna be sandy no matter what. We have never tilled up the dirt to put sod down unless the ground was uneven.So far no problems.

3. WE Chapps

WE Chapps Sponsor

Depending on the situation. If it is a total resod over the existing lawn you can throw the new sod right on top of the old grass. No tilling. This is effective in smothering out many of the old weeds at the same time. It will save you a lot of time and labor. If it is a patch joyou jcan still throw the grass on topo but the edges have to get feathered back in to the existing yard. On the irrigation part, the trenches won't have to be dug as deep because you have the extra 2 to 3" of dirt and grass from the sod on top.

4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

This is just my $.02 so take what you will. First I would not till. I would first kill all weeds then remove all grass and dead weeds where you are going to resod. Our Florida weeds as you well know will grow right through the new sod (i.e. cracks) within months and your customer will be unhappy. Before I placed the sod down I would put down a light organic fertilizer. You should have best results with this method as that is some of the recomendations from I.F.A.S. at UF