stay away from water . . .

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowtech, Jul 30, 2006.

1. mowtech

mowtech LawnSite Senior Member

2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

those mowers sure are dangerous around water and steep hills, glad i do not use them:nono:

3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Sandman, one was a Z and the other was a riding mower. What type do you use in the Outback?

Accidents can happen on straight, flat ground if the mind isn't kept on what one is actually doing at the time. Who hasn't hit things or slid into something and been embarrased even if no other person saw them?

But mowing near water on a slope? That makes me nervous, even using a WB. At least with a WB, if trouble comes, you can always let go of the thing and fish it out later. I'd hate to go down with the ship.

4. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

i use WB cylinder mowers as does 99% of people in this state, like you do not want to go down with the ship.:cry:

5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I never like mowing around water, especially if I know the bank of the pond drops off fairly fast, but you have to get kind of close to the water, there just isn't a practical way around it that won't eat tons of time. Just be carefu most of the time and you can avoid accidents.

6. ralden

ralden LawnSite Member

Upfront, let me say that I'm a lawyer. I am representing a mother and father who lost a daughter in a ZTR rollover. She was employed by a municipality, and they bought a ZTR without a ROPS. ROPS wasn't standard equipment when it was bought (Dec. 2005), although it is now, and the retailer didn't recommend the $150 "option" even though they knew the ZTR would be used to mow public parks with hills, creeks and riverbanks. One Feb. when the ground was a little moist, this girl turned the ZTR on a slight slope, lost traction, slid down the slope to the bank of a creek, where the back wheels dropped a foot or two to the creek bottom, flipping the mower backwards. The girls was pinned in by the handles and couldn't get out.