stay in lco biz or take job?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rambler, Aug 3, 2004.

1. rambler

rambler LawnSite Member

whew this is a good one. got a phone call today guy was wondering if i was still interested in taking a trucking job that i applied for 2&1/2 months ago right before i went into the lco biz.its a really good job good benefits real good pay home every night top out about 20$ an hour really wanted this job at the time but got the impression the guy wanted someone younger .i am 44 years old .so i just forget about it then he calls and says for me to come in tomorrow if i want the job whew its got me up late thinking. man i fell guilty as hell if my woman new i was offered this job and turned it down my but would be in the fire but i really love what I'm doing now.invested about 12k in my mowers and stuff so far got some regular customers things seem to be picking up fast and if your are wondering there is no way i could do this part time with this job . so Am kinda venting on here just wondering what some of you guys would do:) anyways think I'm gonna call this guy in the morning and turn down the job. hope I'm doing the right thing:confused:

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a decision only you can make and have to live with... I also think you should talk it over with your "woman"... if she means anything at all to ya. :)

Good luck!!

3. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

You will blow past $20 an hour so fast, plus have the freedom and positive self esteem that owning your own business creates. Hustle up more accounts and take off December and January and then your wife will have nothing to complain about. My age = 56, started this at 50 and I net out about $50 an hour.

4. rambler

rambler LawnSite Member

thers no way im gonna tell im gonna turn down this job if i do im gonna live like a monk for a long time !

5. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on what Lawn-Scapes says about talking this decision over with your woman.

Can you stall this guy a few days and still have the option of taking the job? Frankly I would be real leery if this guy is saying drop everything RIGHT NOW and come work for me. Is he seriously thinking you should screw everyone you have made commitments to, for his benefit?

Have you thought about the possibility of hiring a helper to take the lawn business day-to-day, while you still run things and work it on your weekends? Kind of protecting yourself if the trucking gig goes south.

Good luck.

6. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

You have to live with that decision too. Sounds like you guys are tight... :rolleyes: Like I said.. Good luck!

7. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I'd discuss it with her. She will find out eventually and then you maybe be single for a long time. Hope things work out for you.
    I live in Wilmore so I'll hear the explosion! lol

8. shiznitttt

shiznitttt LawnSite Member

You could always take the trucking job and if it does not work out go back to your LCO, or work your LCO on the side like I do. It is really nice having a "steady" income every week. But, ultimately it is your decision along with your woman. GOOD Luck

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Add up the benefits and figure how much you would have to make to have:

1. Retirement

2 Health insurance for you and your family

3 Paid vacation

4. Paid holidays

5. Weekends off

6. Pay only half of SS

7. Disability insurance

There are many more things that could be added to the list.

Oldtimer

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If the benefits are there, take it. Do your lawn care on the side a little bit if you'd like to. One thing to look for though, is what kind of pension is available, and how good of medical coverage will you have when you retire. THIS is the thing to consider - so many people don't think about those things. The guy that really have it going on, and that I envy, are like the guys that have retired from GM or wherever, and have their benefits and pension taking care of them, and do this, too. People have no idea how much that week or two stay in the hospital when you're 68 will cost. It can break you so fast, you won't know what happened.
    Now, if you have children, the answer is obvious, unless your wife works and bring in benefits, also. Oh yeah,...there's ANOTHER group of guys that I certainly envy!