Stay Off My Lawn!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ICE, Mar 21, 2006.

1. ICE

ICE LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I just read this on I have heard of some pretty an@l people before, but c'mon! Jeeeeeeeeeeeez!

Police: Man Killed Teen Neighbor for Walking on Lawn

Tuesday , March 21, 2006

BATAVIA, Ohio — A man who neighbors say was devoted to his meticulously kept lawn was charged with murder in the shooting of a 15-year-old boy who apparently walked across his yard.

Charles Martin called 911 on Sunday afternoon, saying calmly: "I just killed a kid."

Police, who released the call's contents, said Martin also told the dispatcher: "I've been harassed by him and his parents for five years. Today just blew it up."

Larry Mugrage, whose family lived next door, was shot in the chest with a shotgun. The high school freshman was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Martin, 66, allegedly told police he had several times had problems with neighbors walking on his lawn. He remained jailed without bond Monday. His jailers said no attorney was listed for him.

Neighbors said Martin lived alone quietly, often sitting in front of his one-story home with its neat lawn, well-trimmed shrubbery and flag pole with U.S. and Navy flags flying.

Joanne Ritchie, 46, said Mugrage was known as "a good kid," but she always also considered Martin to be friendly.

Union Township is near Batavia, about 20 miles east of Cincinnati.
  2. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Guess he won't be working on his lawn anytime soon.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

think what he woudda done if you showed up to cut his lawn with a big heavy WB or, heavens forbid, a ZTR.......:eek:

GEO :waving:
  4. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Seems this goes deeper then walking on the lawn.

Police, who released the call's contents, said Martin also told the dispatcher: "I've been harassed by him and his parents for five years. Today just blew it up."
  5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

This indeed is a very sad thing to happen. Batavia is not but a few miles from here...My sincerest condolences to all involved. Just a bad situation all the way around.
  6. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Hey I'm from Blanchester and yes this is a sad situation.
  7. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

That is horrible. I see a couple of lawns here, beside the ones that I maintain that I feel I might get screamed at if I go a little over the boundary lines. That sucks.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

It seems what goes around comes around.
  9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I do not care how much you are harrased,I don't care if thee kid peed on your lawn everyday for 5 years..I don't care if he let his 10 dogs crap on his lawn for 5 years...That is what the Law is for.
    There is NO excuse for shooting a 15 year old boy!
    People do not just"snap".
  10. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Actually people snap all the time. Obviously there was some sort of deep seeded problem this man had.

I also dont recall saying that he had an excuse for what he did.

I said there was obviously more to the story then just some kid walking on his grass.