Stay or leave...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by emil35, Oct 4, 2006.

1. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

Ok here's my deal at the moment...

I'm a full time college student working hard every weekend mowing lawns. I've found a rather profitable new business that I could move to if I was to devote more time, but I can't decide if I should keep the lawn care business or leave. I have the chance to buy 20 accounts (all residential, no contracts) that will pay for itself in one month's work of those accounts and with my other accounts, allow me to profit around $35K...with roughly 25 hours of work per week. The other business concept will allow me to profit at least $12500/year with roughly 5 hours of work per week. The new idea has required less than $500 in startup costs, while I have over many thousand invested in the lawn care side. What would you do? The new business idea works better with my schedule for college, but I have a few commercial accounts that require only 5 hours of work per week total and make up roughly half of my lawn care income...all the rest are residentals. So with all that said, if you were me, what would you do? Thanks!

2. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

keep the commercial accts and start the other business!!!

3. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

Should I drop or sell the residentials? Do I keep any of them, or just go commercial only? The new business will be commercial only work, but I have some residental clusters that are ok, but profit only about half the hourly wage that I make on the commercials...if that makes sense.

4. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

i would try and focus mainly on the new business. I'd sell the residentials and use the profit to start up the new business or pt it away for anything that may pop up in the future.

5. emil35

emil35 LawnSite Member

What could I sell them for? Any equation/ratio?

6. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would hold on to a portion (the easiest) for income while you get the other gig up and running. I am looking at doing the same thing and will likely hold onto the portion that gives me the least headaches!! By the way may I ask what your other gig is? I am curious. Good luck in what ever you decide.:waving:

7. johnny v

johnny v LawnSite Member

:weightlifter: Keep em both ... u can do it!!!!