1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Staying busy in the Winter

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Oasis360, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Unique Landscape

Unique Landscape LawnSite Member
    from Vanc WA

Let me know if you need a good 21 mower
    we are going to sell one of or back up mowers
    olso going to sell a toro 37inch hydro that we have been useing for a back up mower
    the 21 is a hustler with a honda great runner and bagger $400.00
    the toro just put a new starter work great $ 1,200.00
  2. Oasis360

Oasis360 LawnSite Member

Im selling my truck soon but I will have more of a need for equipment once I get ahold of a fullsized truck. I can pick a decent truck up from auction near the first of next year for 700-900 and spend another 250 turning it into a flatbed w/ sides.
  3. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

You don't want to pressure wash in the winter its just to hard on you with the cold. I hang Christmas lights for some customers prune trees, a little bit of fire wood from the trees, gutter cleaning, fix fences, snow if I can get it, mulch, leaf clean up, and handyman stuff.
  4. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Winter is a hard time to start business. We won't make much new sales until Feburary... Until then, I live on my contracted maintenance income ($4000/month) and work in the office.

Pressure washing generates good money for us. I have around $2600 invested in a 4.0 GPM 13 horse honda w/ 24'' stainless steel surface cleaner, and 24' extention wand. Also have lots of chemicals, 4' gun, different parts to use depending on job, lots of high pressure hose and garden hose, injectors, and nozzles to choose from.

I wouldn't suggest pressure washing during the winter, unless you want to be sick... I only wash during the winter if it is concrete, when I can wear my rubber boots. Doing a house in cold weather is just foolish. 1 man w/ my machine generates between $60 and $75/hr.

We get additional business by leaf removal this time of year, and all of our heavy pruning and renual prunings happen between Feburary and March. Then its business as normal starting around the middle of March...100 hr weeks until October.

You may want to consider having the business as a side job during the winter...and spend several hundred more hours doing your market research.

Do good work, and you'll do well.
  5. Reflection

Reflection LawnSite Member

There's also garbage pickup/lot maintenance for commercial properties like shopping centers etc. A lot of walmarts and home depots don't actually do this themselves. Won't get rich doing this, but it's steady year round income and pretty easy & inexpensive to do. It's also a good "in" with property management companies, you should eventually be able to get the landscape contracts for some of these places.

With regards to snow you don't necessarily need to be setup to plow. Most municipalities have by-laws requiring residents & businesses to keep their sidewalks shoveled/cleared. Even if it only snows once or twice a month, some income is better than none and clearing sidewalks doesn't take much investment on your part. Also a lot of plow guys won't touch a shovel :)

With your climate you should be able to keep reasonably busy with yard cleanups, pruning etc. and the other odd jobs like gutter cleaning.