Staying cool

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by, Feb 24, 2003.

1. LawnSite Member

How do you guys stay cool working outside in the hot summer sun? Anybody got any good ideas or secrets they want to share. As for me I just take a water hose and give myself a good doucing a couple of times a day.
  2. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

That is really about all you can do...just keep hydrated! We had one guy who worked for us a year or two ago and he'd wear this thing around his neck that constantly misted water onto his neck & face. It seemed to keep him cool but it slowed him down cause he always seemed to be re-filling it or tinkering with it instead of working.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Drink lots of water. I also include a Gatorade each day to replenish lost electrolytes (sodium and potasium).
  4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

This is very basic, but wear a hat. Just having a baseball-style cap keeps the sun off my face, and seems to keep me cooler. A few other LCOs in my area wear the mesh style hats with full brims.
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Lots of water and try a wet cloth around the neck. I little old lady gave this to me one day (one of the hottest days of the year), I didnt really want it, but took it just to be polite and I think it really helped. Then she gave me a big 'ol piece of chocalate cake....haha....I had to save this for later.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like she wants to adopt you Matt...LOL
  7. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Military style boonie hat with a brim all the way around. And they sell these things called snakes or something that you can put in a (seperate) ice chest full of ice and water. Because you don't want them to mix with the ice that keeps you're drinks cold because they tend to make the nastiest looking water on earth. When you pull them out put them around you're neck and they stay ice cold for about a half hour. When you load up the trailer to move to the next job stick the snake back into the ice chest and when you arrive at get another one out. Get about 3 or 4 to keep in the rotation. They also prevent the sun from burning the back of you're neck. And some sun/safety glasses, with that stuff we can go all day.:blush:
  8. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I sit on the Lazer with a big bottle of water. I always have on my big aviator sunglasses, hat, and my worktunes. If Im not mowing then I am sitting in the truck, filling up gas cans, or talking to a client. I cant wait for it to get hot!!
  9. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

Long sleeved t-shirt and a straw hat. The best way to stay cool is to keep the sun off and pump up the fluids.
  10. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Where do you get these "snakes". I've never heard of them but they sound like they'd sure be worth a try. Are they merely a wet towel rolled up to place around your neck?:help: