1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Staying in Shape Over the Winter?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, Jan 13, 2011.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Just wondering how many of you guys that run a seasonal business have difficulty staying fit over the winter? I retired from my day job last summer, and gained almost 20 pounds by December, so decided I had to do something or I wouldn't be able to get around at all by spring. I broke out the old exercise bike, and have been working out 5 or 6 days a week, along with lifting some light weights, and have dropped about 15 pounds so far. Need to lose another 55 total, to get to what I really should weigh, but it has been many years since I saw 180 on the old scales. :)

It wasn't so bad carrying those extra pounds when I was younger, but now, as I approach 60, it really makes it tough to get around, plus I had to start taking medicine for my blood pressure for the first time in my life.

2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I really wish you would quit loosing weight because I'm finding it.:laugh::laugh:

I stay in shape by lifting a fork and snacking. In the not near as busy season I go from around 235 to around 250 but I'm only 5'6".:cry::cry::cry: well that's standing up, if I'm laying down and you measure from the ground to my belly button I'm 6'5":laugh::laugh::laugh:

The longest thing on me is my belt :drinkup::hammerhead:

3. I started power walking to the fridge, does that count.

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in my mid 40s and I'm know how you feel. I don't do much in winter either and gain around 15lbs in those few months but lose it quickly when I go back to work. Its getting harder and harder to get going every spring as I'm getting older and those first few weeks really kick my butt. This year I'm working out a little everyday to make things a bit easier in spring. Good luck

5. Wright48

Wright48 LawnSite Member

I started working out in the summer 4 days a week in the moring before the workday didnt need to loose wieght just trying to gain some muscle it was hard at first but now nothing makes me sore anymore i just did 24 hrs of plowing,shoveling and snowblowing and it felt like i did nothing so i cant wait to have some hard work days in the spring to see how theroy holds up to stone work and pavers. plus i feel better and have more energy moving **** around like fert or salt bags is like nothing compared to when i didnt work out.

6. SLC & IS

SLC & IS LawnSite Member
    from No. Va.

lifting weights,going for a short run when its not freezing,trying to make sure it dosen't take me two weeks to feel good in the spring. the older i get the harder it is to get going since these last two winters i haven't had many projects.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Its tough in the winter man, esp a 4 month ordeal like here (Dec - March).
    I do russian kettlebells in my basement, can get a knock out workout in 30 minutes with those. Its just a matter of sticking with a 3 times per week schedule.

I also agree with above, any extra weight comes off fast when mowing/apping begin.

8. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

I always seem to over indulge in terms of food and beer around Nov-Dec. I have been hitting the treadmill pretty hard since New Years. I use Jan-March as my training months, lifting and running 5X week. Once mowing kicks in, I scale back to 3X.

9. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

So the ol' 12oz curls are gettin to ya? LOL

I went to the Doc, 3 years ago @ 41, and after he did my exam,, he said, at my height 5'7" and at 204Lbs, I was Obese. :angry: And that I should be about 165. Shoot I haven't been that since,, well a long time ago. :nono:
    I said,, dude,, I am fat. Don't call me obese,, that chick out in the waiting room taking up 2 seats is obese. I'm just fat.
    The following year after my exam, he said, "Last year I told you to work on your weight, what i meant was to lose some not gain 12 more!!! :hammerhead:
    So here I sit at 44 and I'm 215!:dizzy: Only have a gut, to lose, but apparently that gut is about 35Lbs to much! So I guess, I need to get my fat As$ off this comp and go do something. :drinkup:

10. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

Even being 18 i get out of shape in the off season. I spend the extra bucks and get a fitness pass so i can workout in the winter months.