stealing my name

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by trinity1, May 25, 2008.

1. trinity1

trinity1 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone has had someone use there company name before or close to it ? What is the best action to take and can anything be done.

2. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

It would depend. Have you registered the name? If your name is not registered, there probably is not much you can do. If you registered it as an LLC or INC, then no one else can use it. You could contact them or have your lawyer contact them and explain the situation. Tell them they have to find another name, of they can purchase your registered business name for $50,000...:laugh:

3. trinity1

trinity1 LawnSite Member

We have inc for 5 years since we started.

4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

In Tennessee If your INC or LLC paid the state fee to register your business name; at which point you own it. Unless the name is an exact copy your limited in your legal options, that does not limit egging or prank phone calls LOL

5. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I think the name has to be an exact copy. Like if your business was called Evergreen Landscaping Inc, and some competition named their business Evergreen Lawn Care, I don't think you could do much about it. Although a lawyer could tell you for sure.

6. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently found a hair salon with my name.....
    Don't think I'll be getting my hair cut there...

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

How do you know it was stolen?

And to answer the question, no, never.
    But is this a trade off for picking an easy name?

What if parents name their baby boy 'Joe,' or a girl 'Mary?'
    It's not quite the same thing, but close, and so should they be surprised if someone else does?

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

what is the big deal they are in a totally different industry. Go their and show them your business card get a free hair cut and pick up the cashier

9. Gardens55

Gardens55 LawnSite Member

I would be annoyed, but then again if it's an obvious name they may have thought of it as well rather than stolen it.

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

so does a boat load of others.

http://www.inc.com