Stealth mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, May 12, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone here have any experience with the Stealth 33" commercial mower? I was at my local dealer today, looking (and dreaming) at the mowers.The usaul hydro's, wb's, then they had this 33" compact design WB with the aluminun basket for $1499. It had 9hp kawi, which doesn't sound like alot, but this mower is so compacct, it would be more then enough I think, Also, I think the 9hp will save gas!!
    But I've never heard of this mower, anyone know of it?
    By the way, sat on a "Z" mower today for the first time, pretty cool. You Guys are so Pampered!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D with your cushy seats and all!
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The problem I can see with that mower is the 9 hp engine. You say that the mower is so compact that the 9 should be enough. Well the mower only needs power to get it moving. Once it's already moving the engine does very little work to keep the mower moving unless it's going uphill.

If we use my 14 hp 36" Exmark as an example we can look at the power this way. Even with 14 hp on a 36" deck my engine still has to dig in deep to get through heavy grass. Now imagine a 9 hp engine on a 32" deck. On the same grass you would have to literally stop the mower to let it catch it's breath. It's just not enough engine to do the job in a decent amount of time.
  3. fga

i hear what your saying, and if I didn't see it myself, i would have said the same thing. The thing is there are 3 blades instead of 2, and the blades are 11" each. so your not cutting as much with 1 rotation of the blades. Does that make sense, or am I wrong??? It's also the same length as a lawnboy. Your dividing the power over 3 blades instead of digging in with 2. Maybe this mower is piece of garbage, i don't know. Just looks like an awesome addition for tight spaces, around shrubs etc.
    I have a 32" kees, that is double the weight and length of this thing. picture a 33" lawnboy, self propelled, there you have it,I think that's a good description.
  4. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

They don't discharge well...they don't mulch well...they are Hard to Steer....I would take a 21" Proline over a Stealth Anyday!
  5. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Do your self a favor and do a search of the archives.... You can save yourself a few bucks and a lot of aggravation.

6. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I second that!

I owned one for a few weeks my first season. I got rid of that thing as fast as I could. It might not be bad on a tiny yard that's perfectly flat, but unfortunately I don't have any like that. I figured I could use it where the Lazer wouldn't fit and not wrap up a bunch of money in a walkbehind that isn't used much. I was wrong.
  7. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

I can't imagine spending that for that little mower...a real mower doesn't even cost much more...if it was say, $600 okay maybe, but $1500 noway jmo
  8. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have this stealth and believe me, don't buy it. I have a 10.5 briggs engine on it and it cuts really bad. I have to cut my lawns twice to get the cut that the customer wants. Plus, the mower is slow. It has three gears and if your going up a slight incline, you needs to put it in 1st gear because gear 2 & 3 have no tourqe whatsoever. My recommendation is to save a little more money to get a John Deere GS30 which has a 13 hp engine and a lot better customer service. It's worth it.
  9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

my delear has one for sale for 1600 and he said alot of guys are loving em for mulching em. but hey ive never used em so idk heh
  10. fga

i saw that they offered the 10.5 briggs, guess its not worth it though.
    thanks guys, I'm gonna pass. Wasn't definitely going to buy it anyway, just thought I'd look into it.
    that's the good thing about this site, unbiased, honest opinions. My dealer told me also that "the guys love them.." what else would they say?