steam cleaning vs. pressure washing for lawn equipment and other things

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by geogunn, Jun 20, 2004.

1. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I am considering getting a steam pressure washer for my use on the mowing equipment and general use around the place.

as for cost, I know the steam unit is more expensive to purchase as well as operate. but there are advantages to steam over pressure in certain situations.

for example, steam cleans grease better while using less pressure than a pressure washer which is better for motors, bearings and wood products.

but for cleaning things where force is needed, the pressure washer would do better.

does anyone have a steam cleaner that can share their experience?

GEO :)
  2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no experience for this sort of thing compared to a lot of people around here, but I'd be really leery of using H2O on machines. To my way of thinking, a pressure washer is just out: no way I'm using one of those.

A steam cleaner, maybe, but for cleaning, I just use cleaning agents and wipe things off manually. I need an air compressor to clean things the way I want.
  3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I own a commercial pressure washer, but have not used it to clean my equipment. I usually clean my stuff at the carwash. I leave all those gobs of grease and other gunk at the carwash rather than on my driveway or in the yard.
  4. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

For cleaning any type of machinery, a hot water pressure unit( or as most people mistakenly call them ,steam cleaners) do a much better job of removing dirt, grease and general grime. And hot water units generally have less pressure that does less damage to the finish of the equipment.