Steaming mad....wish I'd bought a little plow.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, just had to vent! Can't take it any longer....

So here's the deal, the last snow we had (8") one of my commercial accounts calls me and says...

"Is there any way you could go by to clear my concrete areas, the plow guy didn't touch them and I want to open tomorrow."

I said sure I'll go by and take care of that for ya if it will get you out of a bind. She said just go do whatever you need to so it stays safe around there and send me a bill on it or come by later and collect. I said OK.

I loaded up and went out to clear it by hand. When I arrived there I saw the guy had plowed the lot and pushed the snow into the front lawn 10 ft or so with a tractor and blade. He had taken in all the way to the gravel actually giving the lot a pretty nasty scraping. I saw there was some gravel in the piles out in the lawn too. Dang what a mess.

But I really had no idea how much worse it really was! I went by after the snow melted to scout out the cleanup work from the snow. It's freakin' wreck! :angry:

Anyways, to add insult to injury it's snowing again now! It's been a while since we've had several little snows like we have so far this year. Now, not that I care that much about playing around in the snow, but this year would have been a good one to have bought a little plow blade to go on the front of the rider.

I could have made a little extra money and avoided this mess on the lawn. But I wouldn't buy one now for anything. The dang thing would rust apart before it snowed here again if I did. That's my kinda luck!

Hopefully she doesn't call the same idiot this time. If that had been my place, he would have paid ME for that plow job.

Any of you guys have to deal with this sort of crap?
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Like this,

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I know it's a pain, but as a landscaper that plows also, I know it is hard to avoid scraping up the gravel. I have several gravel driveways that have gravel everywhere after we plow. People usually understand. You can look at it this way, more $ in your pocket in the spring when you charge them for a clean-up. Mike

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I've noticed some of my accounts bruised up pretty bad by snowplowers. As Mike said, more $$$ in the spring. Can feel your pain though. I treat each account as if it's my own, and hate to see it get abused by someone else.
  5. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

I live in PA and had a gravel driveway for 8 years. (2100 sq ft, 75' long up a 30% grade!). It sucked!! Bought a snowblower, man could it throw gravel! Not to mention it destroyed the vinyl floor in the kitchen.

Anyway, I broke down and had it paved. So much nicer.

I can share your pain about the yard though.

6. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

How much do the plows for the Z's cost? does it have to be a outfront deck or can it be a midmount?
  7. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

as someone who plows, too bad. gravel does that, not my prob. unless you're my summer client too. but you would be...

cause guess what ... if i plow for you i cut for you too, and i repair any probs. just part of being "full service"...
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Bob, you wouldn't try to make things worse would ya? Make a man jealous why don't ya! :D :D :D

To the others, I can understand some mess and even more in some conditions. But this was entirely ridiculous! To push a little gravel is one thing, to dig in and push is another. Plus he plowed a good 10 ft of the lawn while he was at it leaving all that gravel way out there. The lot was left all dug up with mud holes he plowed into one place and mounds of gravel left in others. It was dug to the point the lot no longer even drained properly.

Well, I called today and just offered my services to plow the snow off the lot and clear the concrete areas. She gladly took me up on my offer. So I rented a blade and took care of it myself.

I was able to remove the snow just fine without making near such a mess. After I was done, I scraped it back into shape from where such a mess had been made of it and corrected the drainage he had destroyed....
  9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Go buy a cheap mtd snowblower from Homedepot or Lowes. You can get a good one for less than a grand. I wouldn't want to beat up my $8k rider from snow, sand and salt. Just my two cents. Also, you may pick some accounts where the plow guy's can't go........
  10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I got the $750 model for $550 it works pretty good.