Steel Braided Pipe/tubing

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zimmatic, Jan 26, 2009.

  1. zimmatic

    zimmatic LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 411

    I have a client that irrigates 15 acres. The well has a 8" steel casing rising out of the ground 3' and then the 3" discharge pipe rises through that by about 1.5'
    It is not a frost free well so in the fall I sent down a suction device that evacuated the water 15' down so the pipe doesnt crack and send the pump plunging to the bottom.
    Anyways, at the top of the discharge pipe is a 3" tee. The top of the tee it has a relief valve, the bottom side obviously connected to the pump and the 3rd side has a 3" X 3" nipple to a 3" check valve then another 3" X 3" nipple screwed into it.
    At the end of all that pipe is another 3" tee. the top has a 3" plug the side goes to the well. the bottom has a 3" X 6" nipple then to a 3" steel union.

    When the well driller installed the well the 3" irrigation main line was ran 1.5' away from the well casing. The owner told me when the (well driller) fininshed he decided to connect the well to the irrigation system.
    After the union is a 3" X 3' steel pipe that has iron flanges welded onto they are welded onto the well casing. The 3" pipe is connected to the irrigation system
    In the winter all the pipes above and to the well have to be removed to winterize the well. In the spring the owner tells me that the frost seems to move things just enough that it is a pain to put all the pipes and check valve back in place.

    I have 2 problems
    1st backflow prevention a single checkvalve not the greatest
    2nd problem pipes that move enough to cause reconnection headaces. Could that be avoided using a braided pipe/tube. If so where could I get one or who makes one.

    I need to correct this problem since I will be taking care of the system from now on.

    Again ask questions I will try to answer them best of my abilities,
  2. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 48,014

    What pressures are you dealing with? You can get flexible sch 40 PVC tubing with spiral-wound reinforcing.
  3. DanaMac

    DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 13,156

    Is that some of the stuff they use for water features? The return pipe back to the top?
  4. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 48,014

    It is vacuum-rated for use as suction line for pumps. I see it glued into sch 40 fittings in swimming pool applications. Also in soil-dewatering arrays around excavation sites. And it is used for ponds. Not sure whether all flavors of the stuff are UV-resistant.
  5. zimmatic

    zimmatic LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 411

    pump produces at the top end 102 psi right before the well shuts off
    opperating pressure with a zone on (I40's) at the well 75psi Only 3 zones have 5 I40's the rest have 4 heads per zone

    TRILAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 946

  7. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 48,014

    I would think one of those 'bulletproof' compression couplings that Purp used could deal with the pipe movement, and not have any problems dealing with high pressures and/or water hammer.

    TRILAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 946

  9. Sprinkus

    Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,119

  10. Waterit

    Waterit LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,913

    I'd go with what Sprinkus suggested - no flanges to line up or bolts to tighten. Looks very similar to king connectors used on dredging pump hoses, which are pretty flexible, UV-resistant, and rated for 3000 PSI burst/2500 PSI suction.

Share This Page