1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Steel Buildings anyone ever build one?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Varsity L&G, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you have a steel building for shop and company use.

I am looking at getting one built and was wondering if anyone has built one and what the final cost or hidden cost may be before looking further into it.

Looking at a 40x60 delivered cost is around 11,000$ Plus cost of land. Is this something the banks will finance? Is there a mortage for these.

I can get the land just wondering if this building is something that can be mortaged? Land would be around 3.5 acres next to the house we are in now. The land is still wooded and would most likely stay this way for the most part.

www.steelbuildings.com is where I found the price.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

It's called a construction loan or something like that. A bank will lend you money in you have enough collateral. Usually equity in a property. You might have to pay off the land in full in order to get a loan against it. Just go to a bank and ask. They're in the business of loaning money. If you have good credit, I'm sure something can be worked out. I'd like to know more about those structures myself.
  3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Had a similar size to your 40X60 with a overhang out back to park trucks.
    Built with a 4" slab of concrete and insulated was $40K Then we added a his and hers bathroom stall $2K , work benches & storage bins $1,100, lumber for making an office with window was around $800. The only thing that we had to pay seperate from this package deal was to get electric & water hooked up. I had someone in the family make all of the tables,benches & office space. It is cheaper to make the shop yourself but do you have the equipment & time??
  4. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Check that your land is zoned properly first, going through that now, bought 5 acres I was told I could build on, but the city won't issue permit, how hired an attorney to rezone to light industrial use....hopefully..
  5. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes! Find out what the zoning is. You might need industrial zoning to run a lawn and landscape service.
  6. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

not only for usage, but you may not even be able to get a building permit for a steel building, depending on your city/counties rules. Insulation, electrical, heating, cooling and plumbing will all be large additional cost factors, some also do not come with doors or windows, an additional expense. Slab, shipping,cost to erect all additional in most cases. It woud be nice to have 2.4 k of shop for 11k, but that will not be the case. You still have a lot to investigate before you throw down a deposit ( like the company you plan to order from itself) good luck!
  7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a 20x40' pole barn installed for a client and am in the process of assisting a landscaper friend spec one also. If I can help with information on the pole barns, let me know. Around here the tax rate is different because of the type of foundation, or lack of, it is cheaper.

8. wowlawncare

wowlawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

I was also wondering about building a shead house. Half shed half house. I hear you can build a 60x40 for failry cheap. And do like 30x40 of it a house. Anyone have somethign liek this?
  9. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like trouble to me...I don't want to be that close to gas/diesel fumes and explosive items like fertilzer...some kind of hazard isnt it?
  10. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Something to keep in mind is that a steel building is not just a "Bolt Together "deal. You will spend a lot of time installing steel cable, and using com-alongs to get the building square.