Steel Edging Help!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by drsogr, Sep 25, 2005.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Tomorrow I am installing some steel edging, I have never installed any before. How do you cut steel edging? What tool does everyone use to hit it into the ground? A sledgehammer or a rubber mallet? Any hints or tips on installing this? I have looked through the archives, and already have learned a ton!

Thanks,
    Derek Ringer

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Any metal cutting saw will work.A hacksaw with a metal blade works fine,a recip. saw works well,a jigsaw will also cut it.If you need to bend the edging upward,into a slope,cut 1/2 way from the bottom of the edging.This will make it easy to bend.If you're going down grade,cut 1/2 way from the top to bend.
    As far as driving the metal stakes,simply use a hammer.
    It's by far the easiest edging to install,IMO.

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I really like to use a 5" angle grinder, makes realy quick work of it, and plus if you booger up and edge you can just smooth it right out. Also I use a 3 pound hand held sledge hammer, works really nice. Start one end in the place that will get the most noticed and go ahead and hammer in that one end, then wherever you end up, just cut it to fit. EX: you don't want a cut end right by the sidewalk to the front of the house that is one year is going to rust out and look all nasty.

4. drsogr

I will bring the grinder...that makes a lot of sense. I also like the tip about where to cut.

Thanks,
    Derek

5. drsogr

Wow do I feel like an idiot. That was pretty easy stuff. It took us about 2-1/2 hours to do 130 ft., curves and all.

6. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

My guys like to use the end of a pick to pound the stakes in and correct the high spots. The wood part that sticks through the metal head. That way they don't have to bend over like with a hammer and it doesn't do much damage to the edging.

7. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

DRSOGER

Turfco makes a machine just for that..Called the Edge R Rite...It has a cutting action like a sod cutter only the blade is off to one side and cuts down to 4 inches deep. The have a round blade for just cutting slits for edging then you just push the edging down into it..plus it has other blades for doing other kinds of edging installs...See it at Turfco.com