Steel Edging????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Doug Z., Jul 20, 2006.

1. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

I'm bidding a job right now, and the home owner wants steel landscpe edging. She is totally sold on it. The company that I'm bidding against told them that they are the only company in the area that has the machine to put it in.
    I've never used steel edging before. My suppliers that I've talked to have never heard of a machine to install it, other than a regular bed edger.

Has anyone ever used the steel edging, and if so, have you used a machine???

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Never used or heard of a machine to install steel edging. Just manpower and handtools.

3. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I just rented a bed edger and the guy told me they are what everyone uses for the metal edging. We installed plastic edging but the metal edging wouldnt be any different

4. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

I have never heard of a specialized steel edging putter in machine. Their most likely using that as a ploy to weigh the scales in their favor. Tell the lady their special tool is a shovel. They may use a sot cutter or a bed edger but you can get one at almost any rental place.

It is a little harder to work with than aluminum (doesn't bend as easy) and have a can of spray paint handy to cover up any scratches ( they do happen).

I usually use a hand sod cutter, I've never had something big enough to warrant a bed edger. I think the longest stretch I've ever put in was a 35-40' stretch. But most of the landscaping I have done was renovation, you may want to go the machine route if it is a new install.

5. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

Thanks fof the input. I already have a bed edger, so i'll use that. By the way, how hard is it to use as far as making curves and such, there are some curves on the plan. Nothing really sharp, but curves none the less.

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

it is the same as plastic. I think it is easier to use and get good lines where it is hard to get straight lines with plastic it is easier with steel. The problem is that steel is getting so expensive. I think they charge us 15 a 20 foot section where as you can get the plastic for 5 a 12 footer. we use rebar to hold it in place when we use it.

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask her if she has kids, Have you ever seen metal or alum. edging after a mower blade nicks it? turns that edging into a long sharp knife.
    Convince her to go to the industrial plastic. Much safer.

8. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Steel edging is more likely to frost heave because of the staking design. Child safety is definitely an important reason not to use it.

9. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

find a company that does bed curbing, a little pricey but it sure looks dam good when finished.

10. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Steel,and plastic edging does anybody still use this?