Steel Mesh or Wood Floor?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by coz, Mar 25, 2004.

1. coz

coz LawnSite Member

getting ready to buy a 6X12 utility trailer. should i get steel mesh or wood floor?
  2. MR. Nomo

MR. Nomo LawnSite Member

If your worried about weight you might want togo with mesh. If you want longjevity go with wood.

The mesh will sag and welds and metal will break over time.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Wood. Can't shovel mulch and debris off of mesh and some types of debris may fall through the floor. Mesh works fine if you do not do mulching or cleanups, etc. and if it has suffecient support spacing and the mesh is thick enough the sagging will not be a problem. I'd vote wood though. I just rebuilt my trailer and used mesh for the sides (12" tall) and treated lumber for the floor. It's good setup for me.
  4. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes wood here two.
  5. cdorris

cdorris LawnSite Member

yes go with wood for sure. I had a mesh bottom and after one year i had to weild in several angle iron studs and re-weild the floor.
  6. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I vote wood, also for all of the reasons mentioned above. Twice a year, I make it a point to treat the floor on my trailer with Thompson's Water Seal for added longevity.

camera picture 18.jpg
  7. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

If you go with wood avoid pine. It will not more than about 4 years due to rot & weathering. Recommend apitong(relative of mahgony) if you can afford it. It a heavy hard wood that has so much resin it is naturally waterproof and termite resistant.
    We have trailers we've redecked with apitong and don't show much sign of wear after 8 years non treated. If you use apitong install boards with no gaps; as tight as they'll fit. Within a few months about a 1/4" gap will appear between boards as they dry.
  8. I'm going with the wood also.......
  9. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the wood, easy to replace the floor after it gets bad. Easy to haul mulch etc.
  10. Evermow

Evermow LawnSite Member

I agree that wood is the way to go. I wonder if you could replace the wood with that new deck-building material that's made of rubber and other composit?