Steel Mower Deck

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcdansley, Jun 22, 2005.

1. mcdansley

mcdansley LawnSite Member

I just purchased a Snapper WB with a steel deck (best mower I've ever owned). Thru normal use, paint is scrapped off from the underside of the deck. Should I paint the bare metal with Rustoleum to keep it from rusting? I currently clean the underside of the deck after every mowing and spray it with Pam.

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

it wouldn't hurt to cover it up but the paint comes back off in a few weeks...

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Under any mower deck is like a sand blaster when in use,There is no way I know of how to keep paint on the underside. What little surface rust that may pop up between mowings is just sand blasted right back off. I wouldn't worry at all about it.

4. Bitter

Bitter LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

i wonder about automotive undercoat, its pretty tough stuff. or that aluminum fence paint, its very thin and wouldnt chip.

i need to clean the under-decks of mine 2 soon, i'll try undercoat on one of them just to see and let you guys know.

5. Restrorob

I've already tried auto undercoating,It just sand blasted off also. Don't know about this fence post paint you talk of.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You paint the wb?

I mean ... If that 1/4 inch thick industrial paint Toro uses doesn't hold up, I don't know what will.

Only things I found out help:
    1) Do NOT take the WB to those spray car-washes.
    2) Be careful when mowing and also curb-jumping and around rocks and obstacles.
    3) Get a bottle of touch-up paint and fix the little scratches, but yeah, it comes off soon.
    4) Buy another, new machine, lol.

7. Bitter

Bitter LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

the fence paint is just called aluminum paint. they spray it onto fences, propane tanks, and grain bins. it holds up for 20+ years in the weather.

its kind of expensive, but what about powdercoating?

8. Restrorob

Maybe I'm missing something here !!!
    Do you guys craw up under your cars or trucks and clean and wax the underside ?
    I got it !!! Contact NASA I'm sure they have something that will withstand sand blasting. lol

9. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Paint or undercoat your deck, then flip your blades upside down.
    Deck will never need painted again! ;)

10. Restrorob

:laugh:

:laugh: