Steel ring needed for fire pit?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by KeepnItGreen, Apr 24, 2013.

1. KeepnItGreen

KeepnItGreen LawnSite Member

If you're building a paver fire pit, is the steel ring necessary?

2. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

Not at all. A lot of people like to cook on it, though. It adds about $4oo to the price.

3. Red Shed Landscaping

Red Shed Landscaping LawnSite Member

We always put in the steel ring. Usually the one without the cooking grate. This way the fire won't have direct contact with the blocks. We get them for $100.

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

The cambridge kit is around 350 and includes the grate and ring. Don't think it is necessary though
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

We rarely use the rings. Did a pit at my parents with no ring and never had a problem. We have had a few good fires going to.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. KeepnItGreen

KeepnItGreen LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback. I personally didn't think they were necessary. I called Unilock and they recommended them for their blocks in the event the heat does crack them. When I asked if it had every happened, the person I spoke to had never heard of it.

Another option I was thinking of was just to put lava rock inside the pit, up to about 3" from the top.

7. Mr. Midwest

Mr. Midwest LawnSite Member

another option is firebrick. This is going to come with a higher labor cost but it gives it a professional look

8. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

I built an unilock firering at my house and we cracked the block. So all my fire rings get them now

9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Save your 200 dollars now on the steel ring and spend 300 dollars in a couple of years on new block, its your choice. I choose the ring.
    Only because I replaced block twice already.