Steel toe

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by summitgroundskeeping, Apr 21, 2001.

1. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

DO u guys wear steel toed boots? I do. I was wondering if it is really needed. I just like the protection feeling I guess. Plus, I like gugged stuff. I started wearing them when I was mowing a lawn and I saw some kids foot some how get caught under the mower and the blade nicked his toes.
  2. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

Some do Some don't
    We do.
    In the winter the steel toe gets
    really cold and hard to warm the toes,
    and the metal plate in the sole of the
    boot, you have to watch out for when
    you are edging with a spade, you will
    walk with a limp if you bend it. Had
    to hit the inside of the boot with a hammer to
    straighten it out or buy another set of
  3. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I use to wear steel toe boots years ago, but it seems I make too wide of a step causing the steel to kind of pinch at my toes too often. I think about the nicking your toe many times while approaching the deck to pickup trash or something and I notice the blades have not totally stoped just yet.

Also, GregR is right they are murder when it is cold. You never seem to have warm feet. I never realized it until I quit using steel toe boots.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I had a pair and didn't like them. Now I just wear regular toed boots.
  5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have worn them in other jobs. no way I could wear them to work in lawn care. :(

if they work for you, then great. they don't work for me.

besides, no way could I get my feet under the ole lesco with the thing running. as long as all my O-P switches are working that is (I hope)!

6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Don't know about the USA, but here in Canada you are asking for big trouble with workman's comp if your employees don't wear steel toe boots..if a guy dosn't have his boots...he goes home.... good luck in 2001
  7. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

i wear john deere boots. they are waterproof, and oil and acid resistant, i was putting down a new floor in my shop, and the second step was to use acid to wash the floor. my boots held up exceptionaly well, you can't even tell they were used for that purpose. they were 129.00 and worth every penny, and they are not steel toe and it i am fine either way.
  8. Highpoint

Highpoint LawnSite Member

My cousin lost his toes while standing on a concrete wall that his brother was backfilling with rock and debris. he had Steel toe boots. Rock was just too much for the boots. We do not wear steel toe boots.
  9. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I wear them because I think they are better than having little protection. If big rock fell on your foot, nothing would help. I was just wondering if I'm the only one who wear them while mowing and junk.
  10. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i did until i needed a new pair of boots, but for the last year i haven't had steel in my new ones. man i wish i did the other day some thing hit my foot and hurt like a b****, i'm gunna get a new pair as soon as i have time.