steel wheels on a bobcat??

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mow king, Jul 12, 2007.

1. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Rock quarry maybe? Just for moving material around. Definitely no dirt work. You'd get stuck w/ a little sprinkle.

3. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

You put very thin rubber tires on them; they're known as "dubs".

Seriously, though, I guess you'd use them in some place that the conditions were too harsh for rubber? Maybe a quarry like carcrz said, or scrap yard? I think they would offer little traction though.

Looks like the right rear is held on by only one lug nut.

4. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think this may have been a machine used by some form of amish or other type of religious group. I know many types do not believe in a wheeled tractor and will put steel wheels on them like this. I wonder if this may have come off a farm. I do see the name Koehring on the side but not sure that means anything. The machine could have been purchased used and the tires swapped out for the metal wheels. It kinda looks like old dry manure on the side of the bucket even though it dont have forks.

5. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

I worked on a Thomas with steel wheels. It was different than this, though. Someone had taken a steel pipe, cut it with a torch and welded reebar to a thick plate to act as a hub. It was used by a recycling company at their scrap yard.

6. BLCS

BLCS LawnSite Member
    from alabama

it would make for a smooth ride:dizzy:

7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

The amish community north of me uses this set up on there tractors but they actually put a tire over it. They are allowed a certain hp engine but but by placing a tire over the steel wheel of coursr no air. They cant have a smooth ride against the church.
    Mike

8. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

I always thought that the Amish could not use any machinery. And there's no such thing as a "smooth ride" in any skid steer!

9. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

those are steel wheels for menonites...amish dont believe in using those things, then you have mennonites that will use machine but will not use rubber tires for them so they put steel wheels on...they have them on everything around here from little lawn tractors all the way up to four wheel drive john deere row crop tractors.

10. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dirt Digger2 is correct menonites do it also. Around here they is different types of amish. The younger generation will use the steel wheels like this. They wont use a pto shaft off a tractor. They mount a small motor on the baler and operate it that way.