steep and sliding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CCL/arborist, Jul 2, 2004.

1. CCL/arborist

CCL/arborist LawnSite Member

I'm kinda new to turf manage ment.The guy before mowed all on a zturn and my gravely not hanging his old marks there and i cant stay in the track.Tried lowering tire pressure and not pointing nose down hill but picking brairs out my arms and neck would knob tires help corect this.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

can anyone paraphrase in english for me?

3. CCL/arborist

Sorry its late. I am mowing a property that is very steep. The person that mowed before me has mowed property with a z-turn rider. I am using a 144z Gravely and I cant follow his old lines. I have tried lowering the tire pressure. It helped a little but I am wondering if knobbier tires would help me hold to the incline or if there are any other suggestions for mowing with a rider on a steep grade.

4. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Are you mowing side to side or up and down the incline?

5. CCL/arborist

Side to side starting from the bottom.

6. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

The 44 has a narrow whell base, so side hill is going to be tough.
    you ma be able to do a diagonal pattern on it. ahrd to say though, it sounds like you have some prickers at the bottom.
    Tires might work, but expensive way to find out you are wrong, and then they tear more sod in the flats on turns.
    Is a walkbehind an option?

7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, if it is that steep that you are loosing traction, a walkbehind is the only way to go..