1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

steep bank question

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Garagedude, May 10, 2008.

1. Garagedude

Garagedude LawnSite Member

I have a bank thats to steep even for a walk behind. Anyone ever used a reel type push mower and mow sideways on steep banks. I've been using a weed eater but I'm looking for a cleaner, easier way. Any ideas would be great. Its too steep for a powered push mower without pressure type lube system. Some have mentioned a two stroke mower but thats expensive for this one piece of grass.
  2. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

growth regulator - reduce the amount of times you need to cut
  3. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

I think it is lunacy, but I continue to see people tying a rope to a mower deck and pulling it up and down the slope. I would rather price myself out of the slope market, personally.

I always end up wondering what designers are thinking putting grass on a hillside only a goat could mow. Good luck.
  4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Nothing to it really, for steep slopes my crews use Allen Hover mowers.
    These things have 4 stroke Honda motors, use .150 line and are height adjustable.
    Best thing is when mowing around ponds these mowers will hover when running (hence the name Hover Mower) and you can literally push them out over the water and cut the protruding growth. Much much faster, and more importantly safer than a hand trimmer.
  5. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Aw yeah, forgot about those. This modern age!
  6. txgrassguy

Oh, come on now - " This modern Age"?????
    Hover mowers have been around for a least thirty years.
    What, are you still using a horse drawn mower or something?:)
  7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I was talking about these the otherday to my friend and we both mentioned it would be really important to make sure you have a new spark plug and a clean air filter or the mower would go in the drink. I really would like to see one of these working one day...very interested in them.
  8. txgrassguy

Nope, they float - even when running. Have had them die many times from lack of fuel and you just pull 'em back to you.
    I have a Honda powered 4 cycle hover mower that works very well. For steep banks and retention ponds the operator will attach a rope to the handle and walk back and forth across the top of the bank paying out a bit of rope each time.
  9. Gardens55

Gardens55 LawnSite Member

I wont recommend that plan then...:eek:
  10. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Why not take it out of turf completely ?....and put it into some type of groundcover that (after becoming fully established) will be somewhat maintenance-free.

You'd have to, of course, kill the grass will glyphosate (Roundup) 1st, and lay down a blanket of landscape fabric over the tilled soil / compost to keep the weeds down, then just cut little 'X' cuts thru the fabric and plant the "flats" of plants right thru the fabric, right into the soil. Then mulch.

Is it a fairly shaded area ?
    Wintercreeper, vinca (periwinkle), or pachysandra might work.

An open sunny area?
    Try a group of extremely low-growing juniper.
    (They would have to be sprayed for mite control at least once a year, though.)
    Or if it's a large enough sunny area...you could even look into putting in some crown vetch; like what is used along the highways,etc for erosion control.