1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

steep hill cutting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jhunter, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Jhunter

Jhunter LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

What would you all recommend for cutting step hills? I have quite a few hills on my routes and would prefer something that cuts the best on inclines. I am looking into buying another ZTR and I am not even sure what handles better on steeper hills.
  2. levellawncare

levellawncare LawnSite Member

I've tried a lot of different mowers on hills and the best thing I have found is the Wright Sentar. I don't think there is another ZTR that can hang a hill the way it does. It may be just the way the weight is distributed with you sitting on the rear. I'm not sure but it works really well.
  3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

When it comes to steep hills you're better off just sticking with a walk behind mower. The lighter the mower the better off you are.
  4. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I demoed all the major brand ztr's this summer. I had a small (15' high) 25-30 degree hill.
    The Hustler Z and the John Deere 737/757 held the hill the best. I could mow across the hill with either brand mower by steering straight. With most others, I had to 'crab' across.
  5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

When you say steep hills what degree of incline are you referring to? If the hill is truly quite steep then a walk behind is the way to go! Please give us some additional information.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Steiners or Ventracs, Steiner 230 will sidehill areas that are hard to walk up, but they ain't cheap. figure around 14-15k for machine and deck

7. Jhunter

Jhunter LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I am not good at figuring sloop pitches but I will say some are scary enough and some you just get used to it and feel secure enough to chug along.
  8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Walk behinds. We have several steep hills and we use walk behinds on a couple that are difficult to walk on
  9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

10. cward

cward LawnSite Member

I have a 32" WB for these kind of areas. I love my ZTR, however, they do have their limits.