Steep Hill...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookie03, Sep 14, 2005.

1. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

I have a steep hill that I cannot get the ZTR on. It's too steep (little rocky terrain) and I usually use the trimmer on it. It's taking way too long to trim the steep hill so I need another alternative. It doesn't have to look picture perfect by any means at all. It just needs to be knocked down and the trimmer is basically the only way to do it. Does any have any suggestions on how to get it done faster? I've never used a DR Trimmer but thought maybe it would be faster? It's too hard to use a push mower b/c it's steep and it's a little rocky. The self propelled wheels start to spin and you don't get any traction. I didn't know if maybe I need a DR Trimmer or if a commercial walk behind would work? Let me know if you have any ideas!!! Thank you!!!

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Floating mower. I know Husqvarna makes one.

3. brinlee lawn

brinlee lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would try a walkbehind. They work well on hills.

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

a W/B is the only thing I can think of, just remember start at the bottom of the hill and always turn the mower up hill. :waving:

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Better yet, a 2 stroke walkbehind, no risk of burning/starving the engine of oil.

6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

one time while in the army in germany i saw a guy mowing a steep slope with a 21" mower.he got on top tied a rope to the handle and let it down slowly and then pull the rope to bring it back up.just a thought.

7. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Thanks everyone! So how does this Husqvarna hover trimmer work? Anyone ever seen one or used one? I've never seen one...just on the website! Thanks!

8. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

how tall is the hill

9. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

The maximum height of the hill in one place is 15 feet. It's a pretty steep slope.

10. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

spray it with growth regulator.. only grows a few inches a month..