Steep Hill

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chris G, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

It looks like I might have to take on a new job with my Shortcut, however there is a steep hill on one part of the property.... hill mowing techniques anyone

2. Real Mayo

Real Mayo LawnSite Member

if you have the time and it is appropriate, go up and down the hill. you can go horizontally if you have a walk-behind or talented rider. if going horizontally, stay out of the same tracks from last week. and of course, don't mow if it's too wet.

3. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

How steep is the hill? If its to steep for a rider use a walk behind. Safety first. If you do go horizontal be sure to make short runs (come up for air) or you'll run the motor out of oil.

4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Offer to plant the hill with shrubs. It may not be suitable for lawn if it is too steep to mow.

5. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I once owned a Shortcut and I can tell you that they are meant for flat ground only!!!!That is not the mower for hills-Trust Me-Been there and done that. All the weight is up front and it makes them front heavy. If you turn the nose down hill, they're gone.:nono::nono::nono:

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Hills? Two words--------------walk-behind.
    Of course, if you're too cheap for an E ticket ride at Disney World, try a Z on a steep hill!
    Better yet, try it with traffic, a retaining wall or a pond at the bottom! Tony

7. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

thanks for the responses....I dont think I want to risk it with the shortcut...at the base of the hill their is a sheer drop off (about 15 feet) ill just use my walk behind

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I just KNEW there was more to the question!
    Glad you're sensable and asked. Tony

9. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

You may make it with a different ZTR but not with the shortcut-they slide on flat ground! I've had a lot of diff. brands and finally ended up with the TT as the best on banks. I'm using it until I can afford a walk-behind.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Run Synthetic Oil.