Steep Hill

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by odorisio, Jun 30, 2004.

1. odorisio

odorisio LawnSite Member

Any one have a better idea how to mow this hill? i hate doing it with the metro, i use a 36 on it cause im scared to use anything larger, and the 36 fixed deck is a SOLID mower.

Ive mowed across the hill before as well.

mowhilllow.jpg

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I definitely think mowing across like you have done before is much better. I don't consider up and down as the safest way.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I know it's probably steeper than it looks but I would at least try to cut that with my 60" Dixie. The only trouble I have with my Dixie is getting it to the bottom of a hill so I can go side side to side working my way up the hill. That hill looks to be pretty long so I could take my Dixie down on an angle.

4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Especially with a walk behind!

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I do a lot of hills like that and I used a 48 Metro hp. This year I got a hydro and what a differance. No overrun going down and it is much easier to go across the face. Wheels do not slide going down.
    Other than the hydro answer, no I don't know any other way to make it easer

6. odorisio

odorisio LawnSite Member

so a hydro would work better. that is the one problem with going sideway, you gotta man handle the thing to keep it from running down the hill on your turns. and no the pic dosnt do it justice. you have to force the mower down so it dosnt pull a wheelie when you reach the top.

7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Count me among those who think that a hydro drive walk-behind is the best approach to that kind of slope. If a zero flips over, you flip with it. Not so with a w/b.

I have a slope like that on a couple of my jobs. They're not as long or as deep, but yeah, my belt-drive metro is not fun on that kind of surface.

Ya know, one of the problems with mowing up and down is that I always feel like I've just done a Stairmaster session. Like I need more exercise. Suuuuuuuuuuuuure.

8. odorisio

odorisio LawnSite Member

this is only half the hill :)

9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I'd be riding behind my 36" TTHP, not walking. Hydro is the way to go.

10. Goodguy001

Goodguy001 LawnSite Member

Thats a Sentar hill for sure