1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Steep Hills, Whats best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John B Laidlaw, Jan 8, 2004.

1. John B Laidlaw

John B Laidlaw LawnSite Member

I'm in the market for a mower, preferablly 36", that is good for hillsides. I've checked the threads pertaining to mowers but have not found any discussions on this particular area except about the flymo. Due to various factors, the flymo will have to be my last choice if there is nothing better. I like to see opinions on mowing steep hillsides and hills in general. What works best? Traction? Safety? Quality of cut? Maneuverability(sp)? Mulching/bagging? and Leaf removal?
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and in advance thanks for all your input:waving:
    John

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Most hydro walkbehinds will serve you pretty well on steep hills. I have a Lesco 48" hydro that will really hold a hill, unless it is wet. Forget a Z or a belt drive on a really steep hill.

I have never used one but the Ferris hydro's appear to have the widest stance, therefore I would guess they would hold hills better than others.

I would get a demo on any machine that you are considering to make sure it will work well for your application.

Hope you don't have to use a push mower:(

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Beware of any ztr on a hill.That's where the walkbehinds rule.

4. John B Laidlaw

Yea we are using a push mower now... thats the reason we are in the market. Damned if we go another year this way:dizzy:
    John

5. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Amen Turf Docter......Marks Mowing Service

6. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

My Scag Turf Tigers work realy well on hillsides and some are real steep. They have a low center of gravity. This is only my opinion will try and get some pictures of the slopes that we cut.

7. WESLEY BROWN

WESLEY BROWN LawnSite Member

Steiners all the way baby. you have to get a 48" or 60", but hills and traction problems solved http://www.steinerturf.com/ . good cut and a awesome stipping machine.:gunsfirin :gunsfirin

8. adbradley

adbradley LawnSite Member

I have good results with my JD riders (GT235, 335) with ag tires on the back. Little or no turf damage and they don't do bad when it's wet either...

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Ditto 100% Steiner 230 holds a side hill thats hard to walk on.

Mac

10. John B Laidlaw

Thanks so far to all:blob3: Pics and more suggestions would be great! Budget is not yet set but probaly close to $2000 able to spend!
    John:waving: