steep hills

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clint, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Clint

Clint LawnSite Member
    from Texas

i have an account that has some steep hills, llike a 4 foot 75 degree one, and then also a hill thats not so steep, but steep enough you cant walk on it, its right next to the highway and has very thick grass, what do you suppose i do? i end up walking on the highway working very hard pushing my 21" around it.. is this what im going to have to do, im about to get my metro 36" and im just curious of how big of hills it can handle..

????

thanks,
    clint

2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

sounds to me like any mower is outta the question... especially a walkbehind. Personally, I would tell the client that the slopes need to be all weedwacked, and would up my price on that account.

3. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

Make sure your boots are tied tight and use a string trimmer. The last thing you want is that feeling of total helplessness as your w/b slides down the hill and into traffic. If you are lucky, you will just lose the account and no one will get hurt. better safe than sorry.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

The only thing iwould do is string trim it,and price it accordingly.A wb is to big,and heavy to control should it get away,you may end up getting hurt,its not worth it.

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Golf shoes or ball cleats will make it a little safer.

6. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with John. String trim it. It might be good to sit down with the custr and explain to them the dangers. In the long run they may save by planting shrub or Love grass.

James

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if u are doing it with a 21, id pick a low traffic time an see how the 36 does, if its a large area . otherwise just use a trimmer or the 21.

8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a 2 cycle push mower. Otherwise drop that headache!

9. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I had a yard like that the last 2 years. Every time we cut it someone would slip and fall to the bottom! We had to do it all pretty much with trimmers. The person moved so I got rid of that headache, but if I were still going to cut it this year I was looking into one of those "hover" mowers Husqvarna makes. It's basically a big string trimmer below a deck. My dealer says you can use them on any angle.

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm getting ready to do a new comm. property that has a very steep hill that goes into a canal. I'm thinking about using my 21" as much as I can and trimming the rest. I agree to price accordingly, I know I'm going to. I've also wandered about the hover mowers for areas like these?.