1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Steep slope mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, May 2, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Well, one of my good commercial accounts just completed a big expansion of the building and property. Now, out behind the new parking lot is a pretty darn steep slope about 10-12 feet high and a good 100' long. I've only run ztr's and 21" mowers in my seven years as an LCO. What's the recommendation? I really don't want to cut this weekly with a trimmer.:dizzy:

I'm guessing a walk-behind is the key machine for a job like this. If I tried to put the SuperZ out there, I'd be on my head in a second. If a walk-behind is the ticket, would deck size affect it that much? If I stay with a 36" or less, I could use it on the few gated back yards I have.

What about the Metro 26? Have they finally worked out all them complaints I heard so often last season? Thanks ya'll.:)
  2. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I do not know why but when I ran nothing but walk behinds I discovered that my 48 actually did a better job than my 36 on steep slopes. It was easier to control; perhaps it was the weight difference. The rear of my 36 kept sliding down hill going length wise of the slope. If I were you I would go out and demo. If you do not have a specific call for a 36 and can justify a 48+ I would go with the larger. Most would say a 36 is more versatile because of the gate issues.
  3. lawnspecialties

That's what I was thinking. I guess the wider deck size gives it more stability. Thanks
  4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i am missing something, a hill that is 12 feet high and 100 feet long has an angle of 12 degrees. i would mow this in a second with my rider, just go up and down. but is the angle constant all the way down? can you post some pictures?
  5. lawnspecialties

100' long, not 100' high. It's probably a 60 degree slope if I had to guess. When I say 100' long, I mean for example from east to west.
  6. out till dark

out till dark LawnSite Member

I have an 04 scag swzu and an05 exmark tthp.

Hands down the exmark sticks like glue to any slope i ever had it on.

The wheelbase is wider and better center of gravity when mowing sideways across slopes.
  7. davemanou812

davemanou812 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I would advise against the emark 36" I have never had the justification for the 48, only the 36 for gates and it doesnt do well mowing lengthwise on the slope, if it is smooth you could run the rider down the slope if you had a way to get back up, does that make sense?
  8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I have one yard that has a pretty nice slope out front. I used to have a heck of a time cutting it with a 50" Gravely. I found an old Scag 36" belt drive for sale cheap.. so I bought it. It works great on the slope.

If it's a 60 degree slope.. good luck putting any mower on it.
  9. lawnspecialties

That's what I'm afraid of.:dizzy:
  10. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Try a hover mower