1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Steering Acting Different

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Harvestman, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Harvestman

Harvestman LawnSite Member

I have a 48'' z. All of a sudden the steering controls are very harsh. This happened between yards all at once. I've looked and every thing seems to be connected. The control arms seem to be almost loose(but are not) and they flop to the out side position with no resistence. The mower runs fine but is very hard to control. It has 450 hrs on it. I checked the hydro fluid and it was ok also. If you could point me in the right direction I would be grateful. Thanks Harvestman.
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Wow, that's a tough one to call from here. My first thought when something makes an extreme change in operating characteristics is mechanical breakage of loose fasteners somewhere in the linkages or linkage mounting points.

With the seat flipped up look under the console. The drive levers bolt to square blocks that then bolt to a silver-plated "motion control" bracket. That bracket is held in place with two flange bushings on each side of each "motion control" bracket. Each side operates independently so you should find that only one side is effected. It would be unusual to have a mechanical issue on both sides. I've only seen one of these break or come loose before and in that particular case you could pull the live in and pull up and down on it and get a noticeable amount of play out of it. Look for anything loose between the drive lever and the flange bearing mounting points. I suppose in theory loose mounting bolts on the pumps cold also cause similar characteristics. Be careful and get the unit into the dealership ASAP. What ever has let loose may be holding on just enough to give you some control. You don't want it to completely let loose.

It does not however sound like a hydraulic problem.

Give me a call at 800-667-5296 and let me know what you and your dealer find.