Steering Arm Breakage

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by puppypaws, Sep 22, 2007.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

PJ and everyone else reading this, have you seen or heard of a steering arm breaking on a Super Z. There is one gentleman that says he was breaking one about every month after they got some hrs. on the machine.

I don't understand how a 3/4" x 3/4" solid steel bar with a bushing and 3/8" diameter bolt through it would fatigue and break.

Lets here some input !

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There is no way someone is breaking the solid bar.
    They may be breaking the lap bar / steering bar, this is caused by the operator leaning on them when getting into or out of the seat.

3. puppypaws

This is what we figured out, this is where he says they are breaking.

[​IMG]

4. puppypaws

This is exactly what was said;

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I had problems on my S/Z. It was the plate that the handle and squar bar are welded to. I found that when mowing sideways on a slope, I was using the handles to "hang on" with, which caused a flexing in that plate and it cracked. The plate needs to be thicker. But then again, this is how Hustler adjusts the ends of the steering handles when the ends start to hit each other. You set on the seat and push out on the handles which flexises the plate to give space at the ends of the handles. There needs to be a change in the design before someone has an accedient and gets hurt.

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have had multiple failures as well. It is occuring where you show in your picture Puppy. Thankfully two of the times I was on the mower. Interesting thing was, when they broke I was applying little to know pressure. I could only imagine if my worker was flying along one of our retentionponds and launched into the water, or would have hit a worker or car. I closely examined the area where it broke as it did not make sense to fail without pressure, and it looked like a poor weld. It was bright and shiny on a very small portion of the steel, like a surface weld, the rest of the area was completely oxidized. Now maybe they were good welds that had been cracked for a very long time, it is hard to tell. When I showed it to my dealer, the first thing he thought was that it was not a good weld.

It is an issue, and a safety issue. I never had this happen on my Scag riders.

7. puppypaws

Pretty positive where and how it broke was caused by a weld not penetrating good.

8. Shady Brook

from Indiana

What I like better is the steering dampners that break shortly after replaceing them. Would not be so bad, but they are about $75 a piece. Not a bonus

9. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Shortly after replacing them?
    How long is shortly?
    I don't hear of any issues with dampener's or at least not in a long time.

10. Shady Brook

from Indiana

My last two replacements lasted six to eight weeks before failing.