Steering column noise on 06 GMC 2500

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CK82, Aug 21, 2008.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

I have an 06 GMC Sierra 2500 (HD). When I turn corners and hit any sort of bump in the road in the steering column you can feel some sort of vibration and it makes a rattling type noise. I have my torsion bars slightly cranked for snow plowing. Anyone have any ideas whats going on?

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

mine was similar. It was the gear box. Also My front end had bushings and seals bad. IFS sucks!

3. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

I really think it has something to do with the torsion bars being cranked. Any other suggestions?

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Well sorry for answering

5. flykelley

flykelley LawnSite Member

Hi Guys
    Are you sure its not the steering shaft issue? I sprayed mine with Fluid Film and the noise went away in about 3 weeks. Now once a year I sray fluid film on it and it stays quiet.

Regards Mike

6. greenguys.lawncare

greenguys.lawncare LawnSite Member

I have a 2001 GMC with the same problem. Took it to the shop and it was the intermitten shaft. about $200 to fix. Machanic said it was a common problem for GMC.

7. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Hope this helps, I just addressed this issue with Chevy and it was the "intermediant steering shaft" they replaced it under my extended warranty. The job should have cost 219.00 including labor. FYI there is a service bulletin on this issue if you know how to get them. My mechanic diagnosed this problem and sent me to Chevy with the bulletin knowing I had the extended warranty.

Good honest mechanics are hard to find and I feel I have one of the best independent mechanics in the Chicago area. He could have told me it was ball joints or torsion bars etc. and made a boat load of money off me if he wanted. Economy is hitting him hard like everyone else and he still did the right thing.

8. greenguys.lawncare

greenguys.lawncare LawnSite Member

didn't mean intermitten meant to say intermediat shaft.

9. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I purchased a 04 2500 chevrolet a couple of weeks ago. They put a new steering shaft in it. Mechanic told me that they all have the same problem with the shaft. No big deal but I did get a new shaft out of the deal.

10. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

Thanks for alll the reply's! Including TXNSLighting, dont apologize for trying to help. I wasnt sure what the problem was, I was just stating that I thought it may be linked to the torsion bars being cranked.

Thanks again!