Steering dampener

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by chariot, Jun 14, 2004.

1. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I am starting to experience a little jerk in controlling my Z. I have just over 700 hours on it and I am wondering if the dampeners may need replacing. I remember reading a while back that you all were testing different dampeners, did you change the ones you were using? Thanks

2. Jackman

Jackman LawnSite Member
    from Zone

My Z had jerky controls I took the stabilzers off and one worked like a shock absorber (the good one)and the other just sled in and out (the bad one) bought a new one 26 dollars problem solved....

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Chariot,

We have changed the dampeners, actually I believe the internal changes were some time last year. The current dampener is better than the old one in terms of durability and feel. Some but not all of the old dampeners would develop a bit of a "dead spot" over times. I'm still not 100% certain we are where we want to be as far durability but early field reports are pretty good.

Thanks,

Terry

4. chariot

Thanks for a quick response. I will go ahead and replace them then. Is there any way to tell the difference from the old style to the new by looking at them alone or is the change entirely internal? I want to try to get the newer ones but thought that the dealer may have the older one still laying around. Thank You

5. eXmark

Chariot,

It's unlikely there are any old style dampeners still floating around. Unfortunately there is no way to tell a difference in them unless cut them open and then they aren't much good anymore. The big thing is to make sure they both feel about the same and try not to work them in and out until you get them installed.

Thanks

Terry

6. chariot

I have recently replaced the dampeners, about 2-3 weeks ago. One of the new dampeners extended out more than the other when they were new, when I asked about this the lady said it didn't matter. The mower seemed a little better for about a day or so but seems to still be jerky.

It seems more noticeable when going from cutting speed then slowing down, it feels like one side will just suddenly grab. Also, seems to also be a little slow to accelerate back up. Almost as if the linkage is not moving as it should be but I have raised the seat and everything seems to be okay. I remember how smooth this mower was to operate when new and now all I can think about is that is now controls like the mower brand I got rid of. Thank You

7. eXmark

Chariot,

ALL Exmark parts have a 90 day replacement warranty. give me a call and I'll tell you what to look for to determine for certain if the dampner is bad and it sounds like yours is. 1-800-667-5296

8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have to replace mine yearly for some reason and i'm only avg'ing about 250 hours a year.

9. chariot

Great help as always! Thanks for the help and information.
    No better way to sum up eXmark...
    e-xcellent company
    X-ceptional products
    m-agnificent cut
    a-dmirable service
    r-emarkable interest in owners
    k-ing of all mowers

10. eXmark

Chariot,

Who says flattery will get you nowhere.........

Thanks I enjoyed that.

Terry